Character typing when I didn't do anything.

Atesh Pekli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4670 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I was just sitting watching a movie. Suddenly noticed My name in the main chat saying vulgar things. You click the name and it would pop up my profile. I did not type nor push anything. Has this happened to anyone else? Also how do you protect your self and how does this happen. I feel violated by this.:matte-motes-crying:

the words were blue on my name. I only have my av on hair and bare rose clothing. nothing else. I am on Phoenix viewer. I am not shure what RLV is to be honnest. It made it talk out in the main chat like it was me saying things to get me in trouble. the only odd thing I can see was spacing there was a huge space between the name and the text but nothing in it. I tried clicking there and hiligting there to see if there was something hidden. I have been here for years and this is the first time I ever seen somthing like this. 

Ack I wished I could give You all Kudos. thank you Everyone! *gives you all hugs instead*

8 answers to this question

hm. were you alone at the time? (like, alone on sim)

what viewer are you using and do you use rlv?

could you be wearing something someone could have clicked? you know, like, hm, privates? there are objects that can make it look like it's you talking, but that text would show up in green and when clicked it would show the object's owner's profile. so i am thinking it would need to be something you are wearing.

just thinking out loud here :matte-motes-smile:

add info/comments to your post by using options > edit.

• Like 1

Avatar mimic has been around for years.  It is usually very obvious because the chat text color will be green showing that it is coming from an object instead of the normal white.  Of course the text color depends on your viewer settings.  If you experienced something other than an avatar mimic, then not sure how that would have been executed.

--Cinn

Edited to add:  Bee makes a good point.  Do you use a RLV enabled viewer?

This is a very simple greifing device designed to get other people in trouble with folks who are new inworld.  Commonly seen in sandboxes or new citizen centers.  The device can be worn as a piece of jewelry, so simply setting an area as No Build won't help you.

Note the color of the name of who is speaking -- Green indicates it's a prim speaking.

You can easily mute such stuff btw. 

How does it work?  Simple.  The device now and then scans the area with llSensor and makes a list of the avatar names around it.  Then it changes its name to the selected nearby avatar.  Then it starts talking trash.  Very simple indeed, even if the griefer kiddies don't just copy the script from one of the many Lulz sites on the web and have to write it themselves.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4670 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.