xmpp chat.

bigmoe Whitfield

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 595 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

could be useful for 3rd party chat clients that support xmpp

Is there any ?

I, for one, would prefer an end to end encryption option for IMs in SL: I am not particularly happy with the fact that the IMs text is transmitted in non-encrypted form via UDP packets over the network, and not too happy either with the fact that private conversations can (or at least could) be logged and/or eavesdropped by LL...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

Is there any ?

I, for one, would prefer an end to end encryption option for IMs in SL: I am not particularly happy with the fact that the IMs text is transmitted in non-encrypted form via UDP packets over the network, and not too happy either with the fact that private conversations can (or at least could) be logged and/or eavesdropped by LL...

chat logs are LL's safe guard and can be handed over to law enforcement agencies on request.   Only way you are getting end to end encryption too is if LL has the decryption keys.  it is their service after all.  if it was your service than you could do it your way. 

1 hour ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

chat logs are LL's safe guard and can be handed over to law enforcement agencies on request

Speak for yourself: as an EU user, LL must comply to the GPDR regarding my communications, and as a French user, to the ”Informatique et Liberté” law; private communications such as user to user IMs (NOT local (i.e. public) chat, neither group IMs), shall be protected and its privacy ensured; the only non deniable guarantee (*) for such an insurance is end to end encryption.

As it is, anyway, IMs are 100% insecure in SL (because transmitted in plain text form): this is one of the (many) reasons why I never ”speak” (more like write) about my RL in SL...

(*) It does not mean there are not other forms of ”guarantees”, but you just cannot 100% trust any of those, because you are not in control of them and cannot verify them either. E.g. can you trust the NSA for not spying on US citizens ?... There are US laws (i.e. ”guarantees”) against such a thing, but it yet did happen (and is most likely still happening today).

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Haha 2

Lets see how long that EU data protection actually lasts. There are plans to undermine it.

See for example https://netzpolitik.org/2021/eu-commission-why-chat-control-is-so-dangerous/

But curious if the XMPP interface is really still there, as Jabber/XMPP isn't a totally bad protocol. (even if the Signal protocol as used by other messengers is clearly superior for privacy).

1 hour ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

Speak for yourself: as an EU user, LL must comply to the GPDR regarding my communications, and as a French user, to the ”Informatique et Liberté” law; private communications such as user to user IMs (NOT local (i.e. public) chat, neither group IMs), shall be protected and its privacy ensured ; the only non deniable guarantee (*) for such an insurance is end to end encryption.

As it is, anyway, IMs are 100% insecure in SL (because transmitted in plain text form): this is one of the (many) reasons why I never ”speak” (more like write) about my RL in SL...

(*) It does not mean there are not other forms of ”guarantees”, but you just cannot 100% trust any of those, because you are not in control of them and cannot verify them either. E.g. can you trust the NSA for not spying on US citizens ?... There are US laws (i.e. ”guarantees”) against such a thing, but it yet did happen (and is most likely still happening today).

I just had a simple question and you gave me all this and it's not applying to what I want to talk about.  so let's get back onto the topic if you will for me here.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Kathrine Jansma said:

But curious if the XMPP interface is really still there, as Jabber/XMPP isn't a totally bad protocol. (even if the Signal protocol as used by other messengers is clearly superior for privacy).

I'm wondering this too,  I pulled up thunderbird and saw I could add an xmpp server for chat and since this is documented by LL and does not seem to be redacted or retracted, I wonder if it would work.  I know the url schemes for things changed because of the aws move.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kathrine Jansma said:

But curious if the XMPP interface is really still there, as Jabber/XMPP isn't a totally bad protocol.

$ ping chat.aditi.lindenlab.com
ping: unknown host chat.aditi.lindenlab.com
$ nslookup chat.aditi.lindenlab.com
Non-authoritative answer:
*** Can't find chat.aditi.lindenlab.com: No answer

Apparently not...

30 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I just had a simple question and you gave me all this and it's not applying to what I want to talk about.  so let's get back onto the topic if you will for me here.

Sorry for broadening the scope of your question... 🙄

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Monty Linden said:

"This page was last edited on 18 March 2011" and SHA-1 fingerprints.  Yeah, something like this needs to happen.  But there's more to it than just standing up a Jabber server implementation someone shoved up on github.

hm I must of misread the page wrong then,  I thought xmpp was still the chat service LL was using on the backend.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 595 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.