Request/Suggestion to all TPV creators

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 681 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

37 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

I would have thought you of all people would understand that creating good art and being good with technology are two distinct skill-sets and that having one does not necessarily mean they have the other

Oh I had the common mesh creator in mind and if somebody is able to "create" meshes but not a rich-text manual, I would be a bit concerned about the quality of the mesh. ;)

3 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Not necessarily, I've seen plenty of markdown editors implemented that use just a single view.

This is called a WYSIWYG editor, and would be the cause of an immense bloat in the viewer note card code (as it would involve implementing a full flegded text word processing software inside the viewer). It won't solve either the issue of ”old” viewers not able to display the ”enhanced” text...

3 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

The whole reason most creators distribute notecards with their products is they do not have the time, resources or technical skill necessary to set up a website and need a way to provide the user with a readme/manual, creators who already have websites already do this, so I don't see how this actually solves anything except make an existing workflow slightly prettier

And why would you think that they would spend less time writing down a documentation in an in-viewer note-card WYSIWYG editor than one in some common word processing software with its file posted on any free hosting service ?

It's all the same for them. All they need is a good way to point to the formatted text from SL (thus my URL asset proposal, which could even be part of a boxed product: double click on the asset, and the in-viewer CEF plugin would open the formatted document, or the video tutorial, or whatnot: not even any need for a note card).

Edited by Henri Beauchamp

On 8/21/2022 at 12:57 PM, Ansariel Hiller said:

Oh I had the common mesh creator in mind and if somebody is able to "create" meshes but not a rich-text manual, I would be a bit concerned about the quality of the mesh. ;)

Only then are you concerned with common mesh creators? That's concerning.

Common mesh creators don't even know how to optimize their stuff, let alone how easy it is. God forbid you want to make mods/clothing for them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 681 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.