Picture appearing different in camera preview and actual picture saved

davyandrews

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 657 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Greetings.

I'm having an issue where whenever I take a picture on any viewer(SL, BD, FS). The picture appears to be more colorful and vibrant in the viewer camera preview and looks different in the actual picture saved. This is an issue I'm having only on my PC whereas in my laptop, the preview picture is the same as the picture saved.

Would anyone know what is causing this? 

6 answers to this question

It sounds like the monitor on your PC may need to be recalibrated. The exact instructions for how to do it will depend on your monitor, but if you search on line for "monitor color calibration", you'll find many suggestions for on-line tools to help.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

It sounds like the monitor on your PC may need to be recalibrated. The exact instructions for how to do it will depend on your monitor, but if you search on line for "monitor color calibration", you'll find many suggestions for on-line tools to help.

You're right. 

I took a picture on my PC and I sent it to my laptop. The pictures looked way different. The camera preview looked identical to the picture when displayed on my laptop instead of my PC screen. Though what I'm confused about is if it's a issue with the monitor in itself, then why does it display two different images when looked at the preview and then the final product? Why doesn't it show the same result for both images due to it's calibration ? It's a WQHD 165hz monitor set at 4k whereas the laptop one is FULL HD at 144hz 1080p. The PC has a nvidia 3080 whereas the laptop has a 1080

What program is used to display the saved picture? Does it look any different using a different program (right-click and "Open with…") ?

My hypothesis is that whatever program is being used might have some setting that automatically applies a filter or auto-balances brightness or auto-corrects gamma or some such magic, where maybe that isn't set the same on the laptop.

The nVidia Control Panel can tweak "3D settings" on a per-program basis, too, which I guess might have that effect.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

What program is used to display the saved picture? Does it look any different using a different program (right-click and "Open with…") ?

My hypothesis is that whatever program is being used might have some setting that automatically applies a filter or auto-balances brightness or auto-corrects gamma or some such magic, where maybe that isn't set the same on the laptop.

The nVidia Control Panel can tweak "3D settings" on a per-program basis, too, which I guess might have that effect.

Just the default Windows Photos app. I don't think it attaches filters when you open stuff.  

The difference is pretty much like this. 

The previews look like this,  more lighter in any viewer: 

Preview

Then darker in the saved pc:

Previewend

10 hours ago, davyandrews said:

The difference is pretty much like this. 

I'm puzzled about the origin of these sample images. Does "pretty much" mean they're an attempt to replicate the difference, or are they actual screenshots, a la Windows-Shift-S? (If they are screenshots, then I'd love to know how you get such a high resolution preview image!)

Anyway, I've never personally seen anything like this, and was just trying to identify stages where the image presentation could be affected differently on the PC, compared to the laptop, for the very same image, and also for different image viewing programs on the PC (preview window in various SL viewers vs Windows Photos app). I agree that the Photos app seems unlikely to have any special color treatment, but still I'd try to open the saved image with another program or two (browser, maybe) just to see if they look any different.

It's a good puzzle, I just hope somebody who's actually seen it before might be able help.

14 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I'm puzzled about the origin of these sample images. Does "pretty much" mean they're an attempt to replicate the difference, or are they actual screenshots, a la Windows-Shift-S? (If they are screenshots, then I'd love to know how you get such a high resolution preview image!)

Anyway, I've never personally seen anything like this, and was just trying to identify stages where the image presentation could be affected differently on the PC, compared to the laptop, for the very same image, and also for different image viewing programs on the PC (preview window in various SL viewers vs Windows Photos app). I agree that the Photos app seems unlikely to have any special color treatment, but still I'd try to open the saved image with another program or two (browser, maybe) just to see if they look any different.

It's a good puzzle, I just hope somebody who's actually seen it before might be able help.

It was the same saved image. I just added a light filter to it to showcase the difference I personally see between the preview and final saved picture in itself. 

Thank you for your help though. I appreciate all the comments here!

I'm just confused that if it's an issue with my monitor calibration, then why is the preview different and the final image different? They should be the same because of the monitor calibration lol Oh well i'll just stick to my laptop for photography for now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 657 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.