Missing Landlord

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I recently found my dream mainland plot to rent, paid my L$ upfront and was keen to start rezzing my stuff right away. However, there was no group invite offered and the button asking for a group invite on the rental box dropdown didn't offer me one either, it just said 'you should have a group invite now', but there wasn't one.

I searched up the group, but you do need an invite to join and without one I can't rez anything on the land. Maybe this is why the perfect plot was still lying vacant!

This was a couple of days ago. Since then I have sent the landlord a couple of IMs and a notecard, just in case his IMs were capped, but they have never appeared online. They appear to be a 'one-man-band' kind of operation.

I realise that RL happens and that the landlord may have problems of their own and can't get online, but if they never return and I don't get to use my plot ever, is there any means for me to claim a refund at all, or is that it?

I have been a casual user on SL for around 16 years, in one form or another, and I must have been pretty lucky, as this has never happened to me before. What, if anything, can I do now?

Moral of the story~ if it looks too good to be true, it probably is!

Edited by Moondust Sella
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Moondust Sella said:

Hi, I recently found my dream mainland plot to rent, paid my L$ upfront and was keen to start rezzing my stuff right away. However, there was no group invite offered and the button asking for a group invite on the rental box dropdown didn't offer me one either, it just said 'you should have a group invite now', but there wasn't one.

I searched up the group, but you do need an invite to join and without one I can't rez anything on the land. Maybe this is why the perfect plot was still lying vacant!

This was a couple of days ago. Since then I have sent the landlord a couple of IM's and a notecard, just in case his IMs were capped, but they have never appeared online. They appear to be a 'one-man-band' kind of operation.

I realise that RL happens and that the landlord may have problems of their own and can't get online, but if they never return and I don't get to use my plot ever, is there any means for me to claim a refund at all, or is that it?

I have been a casual user on SL for around 16 years, in one form or another, and I must have been pretty lucky, as this has never happened to me before. What, if anything, can I do now?

Moral of the story~ if it looks too good to be true, it probably is!

there are people paying for land or have charter accounts with land that never login anymore, so there could be that too since it's mainland.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

there are people paying for land or have charter accounts with land that never login anymore, so there could be that too since it's mainland.

Thanks, yes I hadn't thought of that. I guess I've just been lucky not to have had this happen before. 

Darn it! I really wanted that plot 🙄

Edited by Moondust Sella

39 minutes ago, Sandis Jenkins said:

Are you able to see who ells is in the group? Maybe you can ask around others from the group about the current situation.

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I had a look, but there is no such information available that I can see. It says closed enrollment and 66members, but when I open up group information there are no members' details visible.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

If you are looking to recover L$ click on the rent box, if the blue dialogue box has a refund option click it. In my experience you will only receive a refund on the number of whole weeks not used

Hi, sadly there is no refund option on the rental box 😒

• Sad 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.