Cannot sit on basic objects with physics?

Brick Swansen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello,

I can't seem to find anywhere that this particular issue has been addressed so forgive me if I am repeating. I have a SIM that appears to have no issues, no griefing scripts and has been restarted. I can't sit on any objects, not even a basic prim cube. I can sit on objects that contain AvSitter, and I can ground sit. I can sit on basic objects if rezzed in the sky, but I can't sit on anything at ground level. Normally I would probably just ignore the problem, but I'm selling an object this weekend that can be sat on, but as of now my visitors will try to sit and cannot. Does anyone know why this is happening?

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sunset Rock/95/136/24

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

Interesting.  I went to your region out of curiosity, but couldn't find very many things without AvSitter in them.  As you said, those things work fine anyway.

5443b478e2bb0798b7d09762bcaaddd9.png

I did find a rocking chair without AvSitter, though, and it too was fine:

e5337fdde289b06bce151dc3fb3c51bf.jpg

The things that I could not sit on were things that I would not normally expect to be able to sit on, like the deck that the rocking chair is on, and the decorative walls around the garden areas.

All in all, I was able to sit on everything that I expected to be able to sit on, so I'm evidently missing something.

BTW, I should note in passing that I found a lot of objects that I expected to be phantom (or to have no physical shape) but were solid.  All of the flower beds, for example.  I was surprised by the number of things that I kept bumping into.

I should also say that you have made some beautiful things.  I'm really impressed. I'll come back again when I am in a buying mood and have more time.

• Like 2

Can you easily remove that sim surround, or move it a few thousand meters into the sky, far from the level where you're trying to sit, just to test whether that will help?

Also, it's not so much that AVsitter itself enables sitting, but rather that it sets an explicit "sit target" (or several) on the object. You can use a little script to set that target and then remove the script and the target remains as a prim property.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Qie Niangao said:

Also, it's not so much that AVsitter itself enables sitting, but rather that it sets an explicit "sit target" (or several) on the object. You can use a little script to set that target and then remove the script and the target remains as a prim property.

In many cases -- especially if your object does not have to offer you a choice of poses -- that's a much better option than AvSitter, which is a real resource hog.  That's what I expected to find in things like the rocks and logs around your small campfire.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Can you easily remove that sim surround, or move it a few thousand meters into the sky, far from the level where you're trying to sit, just to test whether that will help?

Thank you for this suggestion. I hadn't thought of that. I'll give this a try and report back!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Interesting.  I went to your region out of curiosity, but couldn't find very many things without AvSitter in them.  As you said, those things work fine anyway.

5443b478e2bb0798b7d09762bcaaddd9.png

I did find a rocking chair without AvSitter, though, and it too was fine:

e5337fdde289b06bce151dc3fb3c51bf.jpg

The things that I could not sit on were things that I would not normally expect to be able to sit on, like the deck that the rocking chair is on, and the decorative walls around the garden areas.

All in all, I was able to sit on everything that I expected to be able to sit on, so I'm evidently missing something.

BTW, I should note in passing that I found a lot of objects that I expected to be phantom (or to have no physical shape) but were solid.  All of the flower beds, for example.  I was surprised by the number of things that I kept bumping into.

I should also say that you have made some beautiful things.  I'm really impressed. I'll come back again when I am in a buying mood and have more time.

Thank you so much for checking, and thank you for the compliment! :) I dropped the landscaping in from a purchase I made. I hadn't thought to check the physics on those things, but good point. I should make those phantom!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

omg that did it! I was losing my mind trying to figure this out. Thank you very much!!

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.