World Economic Forum organizing to do something about the Metaverse.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 765 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am in no rush nor have any real need to embrace VR. To me as a builder and creator, and a multimedia artist me and VR aren't going to work well together. It can have some novelty I'm sure, but I'm perfectly happy and can very well be immersed using desktop only, headphones and removing distractions from a room.

I can also suddenly access other software, grab a notepad and sketch or write something, grab the keyboard and type something to the internet, etc all without the restriction of VR gloves, kneepads, goggles or what have you.

It's okay for a platform to work to incorporate VR into their future plans, but they will need to ensure desktop and mobile can access them, as the majority of gamers are still desktopping and are quite happy about it.

It's kinda like that Minority Report movie where dude is going through photos and files on a huge screen and using his entire arm in wide movements to do it. Looks cool and looks all sci fi, but completely inefficient unless you want a work out. Why use your entire arm and give yourself rotator cuff injuries working at a corporation like this, when with a minimal move of your wrist  you can do the same thing with a mouse..

I've seen the interfaces in VRChat, Sansar, Hifi and others and man do I feel gimped. Not sure how people put VR sets on in Sansar for example, and clam to build entire worlds that way. More patience than me that's for sure. Much more efficient on Desktop where on can easily zoom out, fly around, etc (no scaling of avatar to a giant like I saw in another VR? to do anything). The problem with Sansar though and others, is that their interface is not made for desktop, so is tiny and limiting at times.

In short, VR is still more of a pain and annoyance to use than existing technology. Hey if you like it, good for you. I don't. So the nonVR people need to be served too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Seriously???? Mannn, you're lucky. I just can't watch it. The videos where someone is on screen and the action is slightly tilted on a slant is fine. But there's a video for example where everything is coming directly at YOU and it makes me want to faint, LOL.

This one. Omg. Can't. Just cannooooot.

Oh God, I see what you mean. I couldn't take that for long. It's more intense than actually playing the game in VR!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Oh God, I see what you mean. I couldn't take that for long. It's more intense than actually playing the game in VR!

LOL, I assumed that's what the experience would be like with stuff flying into your face with a headset on! If it's not, then that's better at least.

It's no better for me watching VR games with people walking all over the place either. It's that head bob and the sudden tilts and movements. Ugh. 

5 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

I can also suddenly access other software, grab a notepad and sketch or write something, grab the keyboard and type something to the internet, etc all without the restriction of VR gloves, kneepads, goggles or what have you.

That...that is a great point. 

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:
6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

LOL, I assumed that's what the experience would be like with stuff flying into your face with a headset on! If it's not, then that's better at least.

It's no better for me watching VR games with people walking all over the place either. It's that head bob and the sudden tilts and movements. Ugh. 

Stuff is coming at you like that in Beat Saber.  Something about being there and able to deflect it empowers me, perhaps, and I don't feel overwhelmed by not being able to do anything about the deluge.

When was the last time you used VR with the more modern headsets?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Stuff is coming at you like that in Beat Saber.  Something about being there and able to deflect it empowers me, perhaps, and I don't feel overwhelmed by not being able to do anything about the deluge.

When was the last time you used VR with the more modern headsets?

Never have, never will. Seeing as how I struggle to get through playing basic walking sims or FPS games for too long, I figured it's probably best that I avoid strapping whole screens to my face. 😂

38 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I agree with everything you said, and this right here is pretty much why I wrote off VR a million years ago. I was just being cheeky making fun of the ugly equipment. To be honest, I never saw VR going anywhere in the first place, so I really don't care what it looks like. Companies have been trying to push it for years - even SEGA gave it a go in the 90s (though theirs never fully released). And yet - they still can't get over the motion sickness hurdle.

I've not used it myself, and there's absolutely no chance I ever would (I can't play normal first-person games for too long even, outside of walking sims with very slow movement), but I've watched streamers play games in VR and it looks absolutely horrid. The streamer himself looks completely disoriented after a bit. And honestly? Even watching games in VR for longer than a few minutes makes me nauseous. Can't do it. All the tilting and bobbing and flashing colors - ugh. And there are a whole lot of people who have trouble playing in first-person, too, so I imagine they won't be thrilled to strap on a headset either.

It's gimmicky - that's about it. I can't see widespread usage of it until tech advances far beyond where we're at now (teleport me somewhere and really let me walk around a whole new space - not just bump around a living room filled with furniture). And since *that* will never happen, I'm just wondering how long companies will pump money into this stuff - or if they'll even try to solve the physical sickness, anyway.

Holodeck.

https://vrscout.com/news/holodeck-may-soon-be-a-reality/

lightfieldlab-e1540576043965.jpeg?resize

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never have, never will. Seeing as how I struggle to get through playing basic walking sims or FPS games for too long, I figured it's probably best that I avoid strapping whole screens to my face. 😂

It's certainly not for everyone!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Seriously???? Mannn, you're lucky. I just can't watch it. The videos where someone is on screen and the action is slightly tilted on a slant are fine. But there's a video for example where everything is coming directly at YOU and it makes me want to faint, LOL.

This one. Omg. Can't. Just cannooooot.

I wouldn't be able to play it because my eyes won't focus fast enough to be able to see the arrows much less which way they point. Even with my glasses on! 

9 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Stoooooooooooop! Sign me up for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Except...it'll be a loooooong time before we can toss that kind of equipment into our homes. 😂

That article is from 2018 so only 5 years old. Might not be as far away as you think.

See it Now (lightfieldlab.com)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I wouldn't be able to play it because my eyes won't focus fast enough to be able to see the arrows much less which way they point. Even with my glasses on! 

Exactly! We don't all have perfect vision (I sure don't...everything's blurry as all hell without my glasses on).

And that's a whole other issue. GLASSES. I wear them too and I imagine rocking them under all that 3D equipment wouldn't be entirely comfortable.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Exactly! We don't all have perfect vision (I sure don't...everything's blurry as all hell without my glasses on).

And that's a whole other issue. GLASSES. I wear them too and I imagine rocking them under all that 3D equipment wouldn't be entirely comfortable.

Every time I bring that up, the reaction is usually oh but I wear glasses and it's not uncomfortable. There's a reason I wear wireframes called weight. So I can breathe.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ChinRey said:
On 5/27/2022 at 11:14 AM, Luna Bliss said:

why do we not see all these school shooters in Europe

It also has something to do with the fact that we don't allow people to manage high risk stuff like cars, weapons, asbestos, particle accelrators and social media unless they are certified and have proven they can handle them in a reasonably safe way.

Another important point to mention, as to why Europeans might have more trust in their government as opposed to the distrust in the US....the government does not protect its citizens as well here.  There are so many benefits for the public good in Europe that we don't get here. Universal health care, longer vacations, longer maternity leave, less-expensive college education when you can't afford to pay, childcare tax credits (now removed here) that also elevated many single mothers out of poverty.  There's more, but this is all I can remember off the top of my head.

So government here actually, is not very good to those it governs. No wonder there is distrust.

Omg. Now THAT is cool. I'm checking out the video.

This is the stuff I wish they'd focus on. Yeet those VR glasses into orbit.

Hopefully you had sound on so you could hear as well. 

I really wish they would focus more on holodeck types. Imagine being able to sit in your living room in the middle of winter and being able to "visit" a tropical island without ever leaving your living room. Or to lull a child to sleep. Or yourself getting a full restful night's sleep with soothing waves or rain or even a combination of waves, rain, and thunder.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Every time I bring that up, the reaction is usually oh but I wear glasses and it's not uncomfortable. There's a reason I wear wireframes called weight. So I can breathe.

Yeah, it's going to be different for everyone. Some might not be bothered by wearing a big ole box over their glasses over their face. I sure would be!

I'm someone who wears headphones 99.9999999% of the time. I've always got music on, or Twitch on, or something on, and I don't use computer speakers. I'm a bass fiend (dubstep for life!). Wearing headphones all day, though - that can be super uncomfortable! It took me numerous pairs before I found a pair that feels so comfortable (and more importantly - forgettable - no pain, no discomfort, no ear pressure, etc.) that I could wear them all day without issue. It's probably not quite as easy to do that with VR equipment, considering how expensive it is.

Comfort matters!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Yeah, it's going to be different for everyone. Some might not be bothered by wearing a big ole box over their glasses over their face. I sure would be!

I'm someone who wears headphones 99.9999999% of the time. I've always got music on, or Twitch on, or something on, and I don't use computer speakers. I'm a bass fiend (dubstep for life!). Wearing headphones all day, though - that can be super uncomfortable! It took me numerous pairs before I found a pair that feels so comfortable (and more importantly - forgettable - no pain, no discomfort, no ear pressure, etc.) that I could wear them all day without issue. It's probably not quite as easy to do that with VR equipment, considering how expensive it is.

Comfort matters!

I can't wear headphones for more than about an hour unless they are like the kind used at call centers. Very light weight. That's what I use on my desktop. Other than that, I have to stop using them when it starts aggravating the tinnitus. That can be hours or seconds.

Oh and bass? Turn it down! It's all I can hear! 😜

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Hopefully you had sound on so you could hear as well. 

I really wish they would focus more on holodeck types. Imagine being able to sit in your living room in the middle of winter and being able to "visit" a tropical island without ever leaving your living room. Or to lull a child to sleep. Or yourself getting a full restful night's sleep with soothing waves or rain or even a combination of waves, rain, and thunder.

See, that's exactly the type of stuff I'm more interested in. They can keep their VR metawhatever. Holographic tech is cool AF! Imagine the possibilities omg. I'm with you - there are a million different ways I'd want to use it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Holographic tech is cool AF! Imagine the possibilities omg.

I am waiting for day when I can hollo my little grandson right into my living room!  I guess the tech exists, but so very expensive for now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

See, that's exactly the type of stuff I'm more interested in. They can keep their VR metawhatever. Holographic tech is cool AF! Imagine the possibilities omg. I'm with you - there are a million different ways I'd want to use it!

There's another vid on the website under The Tech you might want to watch. The possibilities are almost endless.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I can't wear headphones for more than about an hour unless they are like the kind used at call centers. Very light weight. That's what I use on my desktop. Other than that, I have to stop using them when it starts aggravating the tinnitus. That can be hours or seconds.

Oh and bass? Turn it down! It's all I can hear! 😜

Oooh yeah that is rough. I tend to be the opposite, though. I like the feeling of the headphones "hugging" my ears. Mine are over-ear headphones, which tend to be more comfy for me than having things sitting on them directly. But it's all personal preference, of course. And having tinnitus is a whoooole other thing. With how loud I like my music, I'm surprised I haven't given myself that yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

There's another vid on the website under The Tech you might want to watch. The possibilities are almost endless.

That might be the one I saw! The entire phone call part was IN.SANE.

See, now you guys have me nerding out. 😂

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I am waiting for day when I can hollo my little grandson right into my living room!  I guess the tech exists, but so very expensive for now.

Oh man yes! For me, it's the possibility of changing entire environments. Like how we do that now with our skyboxes? LOL

7 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Oooh yeah that is rough. I tend to be the opposite, though. I like the feeling of the headphones "hugging" my ears. Mine are over-ear headphones, which tend to be more comfy for me than having things sitting on them directly. But it's all personal preference, of course. And having tinnitus is a whoooole other thing. With how loud I like my music, I'm surprised I haven't given myself that yet.

Over ear makes my ears sweat. lol

I think the tinnitus is what caused my high frequency hearing loss. The tinnitus was caused by rapid changes in air pressure from very short flight hops. Hop a 727, take off and land every hour or two for about three stops and you might develop tinnitus, too. 

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

That might be the one I saw! The entire phone call part was IN.SANE.

See, now you guys have me nerding out. 😂

Ogre was a nerd, too.

nerds.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Over ear makes my ears sweat. lol

I think the tinnitus is what caused my high frequency hearing loss. The tinnitus was caused by rapid changes in air pressure from very short flight hops. Hop a 727, take off and land every hour or two for about three stops and you might develop tinnitus, too. 

Ogre was a nerd, too.

nerds.jpg

LOL ear sweat. Yeah, just wait until the weather gets hotter. Then I'll be like @#$%!! who told me this was a good idea???? 🤣

Ohhh flying. Ughhhh yeeees the ear pressure/popping. Ugh ugh ugh. I never took rapid fire flights like that without at least a little time in between, so I never experienced that much. Man, that's the worst!

I think I just got extremely lucky. I used to go clubbing a lot, and would park myself right in front of the biggest speaker on the dance floor and stay there dancing for houuuuurs. It's a miracle I can still hear so well, I tell ya.

Now vision - yeah...too much staring at the sun as a kid I guess. *facepalm*

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 765 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.