How To Save/Export Dae File From SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it possible to save/export dea files from second life? I've never noticed that option, recently been watching lot of open simulator videos and found one made about two years ago demonstrating how he did but unsure which viewer if any now allow this.

I think it would be handy for drafting ideas in sl and then exporting to blender and then back to sl?

here's the video i found: 

Edited by Paulsian

1 hour ago, Paulsian said:

Is it possible to save/export dea files from second life? I've never noticed that option, recently been watching lot of open simulator videos and found one made about two years ago demonstrating how he did but unsure which viewer if any now allow this.

Firestorm does, but you have to be both the object's creator and its owner.

Most viewers have this function now but maybe not the Linden Viewer. This is Firestorm.   

Good for sizing.  You need to clean up prims (and indeed imported mesh too) as the exports aren't perfect.   Alt + J and Remove Doubles are a good first step. Really best to build with "mesh prims" rather then legacy prims as those are divided into many more triangles than a simple mesh prim would be. 

image.thumb.png.32899efb54471a3f9b0fe0d3cd9cf09d.png

thanks hmmmmmmmmm. i just got my locally hosted private region running and from there im able to work off line in a sl type world come up with drafts i can then take into blender by export either obj or dae. ive never seen the options with the official sl viewer. 

If you are talking about an "Opensim" environment, be apprised that while that will work for SOME parts of mesh, others are very different than uploaded in SL via the SL uploader :D.  Good for some thing though.  The beta grid (also free) is a better option.   

On 5/25/2022 at 7:38 PM, Paulsian said:

I think it would be handy for drafting ideas in sl and then exporting to blender and then back to sl?

here's the video i found: 

I was using this video as a guide as well. After re-importing back in SL the physics were way too weak. Reduced the original 20 prim to 11 but was like blancmange. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Giotto said:

Finally got it right with the physics and the LOD. 21 prims down to 12, not as lean as others but I am happy.

Wallflower Boathouse add-on from Blender.jpg

All one piece? Using cubes and not just planes? Can't get the planes to work as I've seen an older video demonstrates, SL seems to close them all up now - pretty sure i was using planes (ala Chic Aeon tutorial) years ago but it doesn't seem to work now. And old piece in one of my builds once I separate it, or try to re-upload it, even now with more efficient physics shape now wants to be big Li.  The same model, nothing changed.

Glad you got yours working :D

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Giotto said:

Finally got it right with the physics and the LOD. 21 prims down to 12, not as lean as others but I am happy.

Wallflower Boathouse add-on from Blender.jpg

no you didn't took me a second to realize where you were lol. that's really really impressive work. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Codex Alpha said:

All one piece? Using cubes and not just planes? Can't get the planes to work as I've seen an older video demonstrates, SL seems to close them all up now - pretty sure i was using planes (ala Chic Aeon tutorial) years ago but it doesn't seem to work now. And old piece in one of my builds once I separate it, or try to re-upload it, even now with more efficient physics shape now wants to be big Li.  The same model, nothing changed.

Glad you got yours working :D

I had a weird one after this with the same prims exported to blender. There were suddenly small triangle issues and the prims went up to 31.
I am pretty sure that I did the same steps as before. I will try again tomorrow to see if I can recreate the one in the image.

Yes that is what I get sometimes, and I'm not sure what changes.. Depends if it's analyzed or not, and not sure now for sure if the older 'plane' defined physics (unclosed mesh) now don't work because cube shapes are preferred. Yep sometimes have to take a break for SL specific stuff then get back to it :D

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.