Best Viewer for visually impaired?

Targyn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 706 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

8 answers to this question

5 hours ago, Targyn said:

Can anyone tell me what is the best viewer to use with the most accessibility features for the visually impaired?  Thank you for your help!

I work on the Catznip viewer, rather than recommend a specific viewer (even our own), I'm going to ask, what would you want from a viewer? What features are important to you? Where could your experiences with SL to date have been better? What can we do to make a better viewer for visually impaired users?

• Like 4

For me personally, I have a genetic form of macular degeneration which makes text and small details hard to see.  in the past I have adjusted my system settings and and set firestorm settings as large as they will go for font size.  I also have adjusted the UI scale to see if that would help.  the biggest problem with these are that it throws off where the mouse clicks on buttons,  huds, etc.  One feature  that I think might help those with visual impairment is something like how hover tips work.  when enabled a person could move their mouse over an object or text, click once to have it read or the name of the object said in speech and then if it's something they want to select double click it.  when this feature is disabled, the mouse would work normally.  I'm almost sure nothing like this exists in any viewer but I could be wrong lol.  This was just a thought I had last night after reading your answer   Thank you so much for your help with this.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Targyn said:

For me personally, I have a genetic form of macular degeneration which makes text and small details hard to see.  in the past I have adjusted my system settings and and set firestorm settings as large as they will go for font size.  I also have adjusted the UI scale to see if that would help.

UI scale is a blunt tool that makes it really easy to end up with a screen covered with nothing but UI .. we've actually been prototyping fading the entire UI out when the camera is in motion and are going to look at allowing more selective UI scaling

the biggest problem with these are that it throws off where the mouse clicks on buttons,  huds, etc.

That ... sounds like a bug, going to have to investigate.

One feature  that I think might help those with visual impairment is something like how hover tips work.  when enabled a person could move their mouse over an object or text, click once to have it read or the name of the object said in speech and then if it's something they want to select double click it.  when this feature is disabled, the mouse would work normally.  I'm almost sure nothing like this exists in any viewer but I could be wrong lol.  This was just a thought I had last night after reading your answer   Thank you so much for your help with this.

Regular screen reading software can't read the UI like a regular application, and I'm not sure where the useful line between having everything read aloud and selective reading is for a graphical desktop client. My experience with screen readers is limited to website testing and I've found the screen reader "stream of consciousness" as it endlessly blurts out everything to be less than useful.

Do you use any specific screen reading software or are you using the system narrator elsewhere?

I don't use a screen narrator generally as I often get easily distracted pretty quickly and end up having to go back a couple times and listen again and then give up using it LOL!  As far as I know what I had suggested was more of an idea that I wasn't sure if it existed or would even work.  I think I am looking for something that would provide better magnification without ruining the experience of the virtual world.  This has been something that in the past has caused me more grief than it was worth.  Also any suggestions from others with vision impairment that have worked for them would be great.  Currently I have my settings as big as I can without messing things up, I use a 32" TV as a monitor and fairly strong reading glasses.  it works ok, I'm just  hoping for a better way.  Thank you so much for all of your help so far.  I truly appreciate it!

Thank you everyone for your help with this!  I have got a few ideas i'm going to try and keep searching for a better way as tech keeps advancing.  I really appreciate you all! Love & hugs ❤️ 

Maybe with an audio/visual system as you walk and bump or mouseover something viewer could say something wall, door, gardens, pond, duck, fish, sunset, when bumped or mouse over would say what object is via texted entered in object description. 

You arrive at a community park with 30 people, cobble path, seating, people near by, conversations in chat text to system voice. 

For building with audio/visual settings active users would be able to build using only their mind and sound. cube 1 meter tall .5 meter deep, 60 meter wide auto command finished scaling name object by saying name.

When I think of ways to help with solutions I try to put myself in that position, close my eyes and think of ways I could build without or with minimal vision. 

Coffee I had a jira suggestion in while ago said it was accepted unsure what the status of project is. 

5 hours ago, Paulsian said:

Maybe with an audio/visual system as you walk and bump or mouseover something viewer could say something wall, door, gardens, pond, duck, fish, sunset, when bumped or mouse over would say what object is via texted entered in object description. 

Looking at object names is less useful than you might hope .. names tend to be split between 

".:*%{BRAND}%*:. Ultimate Something Thing COLOR V2 (Rez)"

or

"Object"

There is very little middle ground, and it's not really possible to get down to single meaningful words unless you spend the time to name everything yourself as you rez it.

Edited by Coffee Pancake

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Looking at object names is less useful than you might hope .. names tend to be split between 

".:*%{BRAND}%*:. Ultimate Something Thing COLOR V2 (Rez)"

or

"Object"

There is very little middle ground, and it's not really possible to get down to single meaningful words unless you spend the time to name everything yourself as you rez it.

If we had some sort of system I would not mind creating building content that works with the system residents could use to create, I would not charge for that either I would enjoy helping. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 706 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.