You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 732 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I am new to animation and am learning with Blender 2.83 and Avastar 2.81. 

I am working on a dance animation and am trying to make a second animation (separate .anim file) start from the avatar rotation the first finishes. So if the first animation starts with the avatar facing North and turns it left so it's facing West I want the second animation to start with the avatar facing West. I am using 'COG' rotation to make the turn. I tried rotating 'Origin' but whilst that turned it in Blender's playback it did nothing to the exported animation loaded into SL. 

Where I'm thwarted is even if I set Loop In and Loop Out to the end frame of the first animation, whilst that does hold the rotation at the end, when you stop the first animation or start the second animation it snaps back to the original rotation.

Is there any way to 'continue' animating from a set of positions where a previous animation file left off? 

Thanks
Leninah

When you say 'Origin', do you mean the scene origin or the origin of the skeleton? Because rotating the scene origin won't work (in fact, that'll more than likely screw up the animation), but rotating the origin of the skeleton (the pelvis) does work.

Also, to transition from animation A to animation B without returning the avatar to a 'base' state, you need to make sure the position and rotation values of the pelvis match the end of animation A, and the start of animation B.

@Jenna Huntsman She is probably talking about the "Origin" bone in Avastar.

@Leninah About the "Origin" bone, it should not be used for animating. Use the COG bone instead, in Avastar.

To achieve what you want, you have to know the end rotation of the first animation, and use this same rotation as the begining of the second animation. No other way to do it...

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Leninah said:

Is there any way to 'continue' animating from a set of positions where a previous animation file left off? 

What are your Ease In and Ease Out values?

You'll want an Ease In of 0 for the second animation so it plays at full strength from the very beginning, and probably a very short but non-0 Ease Out for the first animation so some of it stays in effect briefly when it gets stopped. I won't be surprised if it's impossible to find a value that works seamlessly for all viewers in all lag conditions, though.

• Thanks 1

Hi and thank you all for the most helpful responses :)

Firstly yes its the 'Origin' bone on the Avastar skeleton I meant.

When that didn't upload as a turn I used the 'COG' bone and that does work. I guess just as using pelvis would have. I didn't know that COG translated to pelvis but good to know now, thanks  for that :)

I had Ease In and Ease Out set to zero and Loop In and Loop Out also set to zero. That seems to hold it in position at the end while the second animation is started.

So with all of that in mind I am now able to start the second animation from the end of the first using the COG/Pelvis rotation and eliminating the 'snap' back YAYY !!! 😄

I do have some playing around as was mentioned to make it align as best I can but that removes my block so thanks again all for the help :))

Leninah

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 732 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.