Is current Spacemouse supported?

8 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

It should work as any other joystick and be configurable in the viewer.

Although if I'm honest .. I would advise buying a wired XBox or Switch controller, least of all because it has practical application beyond the SL viewer.

I guess it depends on what you're doing on a day to day basis, but I can honestly say I consider my 3D mouse to be an essential component of my set up,  I hate having to use software that doesn't support it because the keyboard and mouse alternative to 3D navigation feels so horribly clunky and unnatural once you become accustomed to using a 3D mouse.  Having the ability to move the camera around an object while you're sculpting/painting is a huge improvement and feels very natural, whereas using the traditional mouse + keyboard shortcuts to do so is the equivalent of painting a model in RL and having to put your brush down every time you want to turn the object slightly.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

It should work as any other joystick and be configurable in the viewer.

Although if I'm honest .. I would advise buying a wired XBox or Switch controller, least of all because it has practical application beyond the SL viewer.

SpaceNavigators are a nice toy in SL, but mainly they make Blender almost useable.

23 hours ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

I guess it depends on what you're doing on a day to day basis, but I can honestly say I consider my 3D mouse to be an essential component of my set up,  I hate having to use software that doesn't support it because the keyboard and mouse alternative to 3D navigation feels so horribly clunky and unnatural once you become accustomed to using a 3D mouse.  Having the ability to move the camera around an object while you're sculpting/painting is a huge improvement and feels very natural, whereas using the traditional mouse + keyboard shortcuts to do so is the equivalent of painting a model in RL and having to put your brush down every time you want to turn the object slightly.

To me the SpaceMouse/Navigator is more of a game-changer for SL - Fluffy's analogy to putting down your brush is perfect. As KT points out, it's mainly sold as a CAD tool. Maybe I'll try a $20 Switch controller first, before plopping $149 for the SpaceMouse. Thanks everyone!

On 3/28/2022 at 12:13 PM, Crubo Carver said:

To me the SpaceMouse/Navigator is more of a game-changer for SL - Fluffy's analogy to putting down your brush is perfect. As KT points out, it's mainly sold as a CAD tool. Maybe I'll try a $20 Switch controller first, before plopping $149 for the SpaceMouse. Thanks everyone!

I agree with you and Fluffy that the SpaceMouse is a game changer for SL. I cannot imagine using SL without one.

Before you buy the latest model, I returned to SL 6 months ago, and was able to use my 12+ year-old 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator. I downloaded the latest drivers available from the 3Dconnexion website, and it worked fine with Firestorm on Windows 10. At the beginning of this year, I switched to Windows 11 (blank install, not an upgrade from Windows 10) and again successfully got Space Navigator to work on Windows 11 and Firestorm. I recently installed Black Dragon on my computer and got the SpaceNavigator to work with Black Dragon as well (it took a little bit of tweaking, but got it working in under 5 minutes).

Please note that in both Firestorm and Black Dragon, when selecting the joystick, I use "SpaceNavigator", not "3Dconnexion KMJ Emulator".

• 1 year later...

I have used my s Spacemouse on SL for the last 8 years to navigate around and absolutely love it. It's especially great when you are cam shopping, decorating or terraforming! You have to configure it, it does not work straight out of the box but it's simple enough. I will attach a screenshot of the settings I use in Second Life. It's worth every penny.

Screenshot of settings:  https://gyazo.com/e2b520b00c101b17c32a805164d0137b

SPACEMOUSESETTINGSFORSECONDLIFE.png