Problems with imported mesh becoming transparent when adding spec and normal maps

Jupitvr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 836 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I imported a mesh into SL (on the beta grid and in a sandbox, same issue) and when I apply either the Specular map or Normal map, this happens. If I just have the diffuse, it's fine. I imported my mesh back into Blender to check the normals and they're fine. I added the maps to the door first and the transparency flipped I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, any help is much appreciated!

49 minutes ago, Jupitvr said:

I imported a mesh into SL (on the beta grid and in a sandbox, same issue) and when I apply either the Specular map or Normal map, this happens. If I just have the diffuse, it's fine. I imported my mesh back into Blender to check the normals and they're fine. I added the maps to the door first and the transparency flipped I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, any help is much appreciated!

Hmm.... this doesn't make much sense. There is nothing what would make geometry disapear from adding normal/spec maps. Judging from that first image, I'd say that the one on the left is displaying the fridge locker at a lower level of detail than the one on the right.

If you like, you can send me the object on the Beta Grid, and I'll take a look at it in-world.

Edited by arton Rotaru

11 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

Click on Search and check People. Type arton Rotaru into the input field. In the results click on IM and drag/drop the object from your inventory into the IM window.

Okay, I sent it over. Thank you!

Ok, how to fix it: On the Diffuse map is an alpha mode drop down menu. Set that from Blending to None.
Even better, if you don't need transparency, upload the diffuse map as 24 bit tga, That takes out the alpha channel.

Why it's going transparent when adding the Spec map is a mystery to me too. I never experienced something like this before.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arton Rotaru said:

Ok, how to fix it: On the Diffuse map is an alpha mode drop down menu. Set that from Blending to None.
Even better, if you don't need transparency, upload the diffuse map as 24 bit tga, That takes out the alpha channel.

Why it's going transparent when adding the Spec map is a mystery to me too. I never experienced something like this before.

This fixed it! Thank you so much!

17 hours ago, arton Rotaru said:

Just to reinforce this. IF you do not need alpha, you are strongly encouraged to upload an RGB only image as @arton Rotarusuggests. When a texture has any form of transparency it has to go into special handling, which is slower. So by avoiding this where you can your asset will be more efficient. 

17 hours ago, arton Rotaru said:

yep, very peculiar. When we apply materials then we switch the alpha handling into materials based alpha options (giving us alpha and emissive options), my best guess is that somehow in doing this the behaviour changes. Curious though.

1 hour ago, Beq Janus said:

yep, very peculiar. When we apply materials then we switch the alpha handling into materials based alpha options (giving us alpha and emissive options), my best guess is that somehow in doing this the behaviour changes. Curious though.

It's set to alpha blending already. When removing the spec map, it's rendering normal, even with alpha blending. Re-appyling even a blank spec map is making it invisible again. 🤔

For some reason it's not rendering as alpha blending without any other maps applied. It's not alpha glitching at all without the maps. Even it is set to blending mode still.

Ok, It's rendering fine without the maps because Automatic Alpha Masks is kicking in. Because there is no semi transparency on the diffuse map. Applying a materials map seems to break the Automatic Alpha masking, though.

Edited by arton Rotaru

39 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

It's set to alpha blending already. When removing the spec map, it's rendering normal, even with alpha blending. Re-appyling even a blank spec map is making it invisible again.

Does this happen both with and without ALM enabled?

8 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Does this happen both with and without ALM enabled?

Yeah. With ALM off, Automatic Alpha Masks (non-deferred) is kicking in then, when removing the spec map. Applying the map breaks Auto Masks there as well.

Edited by arton Rotaru
  • Like 1

@JupitvrI'm a developer on the Firestorm viewer, would you be happy to send me the problematic object please and the diffuser texture too. @arton Rotaruhas made some interesting observations regarding the automatic alpha masking and I'd like to have a closer look.

@Whirly Fizzledo we know of any auto alpha bugs that (or even normal behaviour) that would lead to this?

2 hours ago, Beq Janus said:

@JupitvrI'm a developer on the Firestorm viewer, would you be happy to send me the problematic object please and the diffuser texture too. @arton Rotaruhas made some interesting observations regarding the automatic alpha masking and I'd like to have a closer look.

@Whirly Fizzledo we know of any auto alpha bugs that (or even normal behaviour) that would lead to this?

All you need is a texture with an alpha channel that has no semi-transparency. It repros with prims, but it's much easier to see on some more complicated mesh objects.

I also can't remember if this has always been the case or, not. Usually, when we use alpha channels we do it purposefully. Or even circumvented the Auto Masking by setting transparency to 1 %....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 836 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.