The real solution to making SL NUMBER ONE location on the net.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 815 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Istelathis said:

I agree, it is really expensive.  I paid more for a 4096 parcel in SL than I did through an OS grid which provided me four regions to play around with.  I've since moved to hosting my own grid for free, with as many regions as I want.  If SL offered us the ability to host private regions ourselves, the company most certainly would lose a significant amount of money.  I'm sure there would still be fees to hosting your own, as even hosted on our own servers we would be using all of the assets stored on theirs so perhaps that would be enough to cover some of their losses.  While I would maintain my premium membership, I think many others may decide to drop theirs as it would be cheaper to rent from the multitude of landlords that would appear.  It would definitely open a can of worms, and goes beyond my own knowledge of SL and the ramifications of allowing us to host our own regions - I mean os with hypergrid shows us that it is possible but I personally don't know if it would be a good thing for SL and what kind of impact it would have on everyone.

Right. The technology is there, the smaller grids prove that.

@Solar Legion laughs because he doesn't understand how cheap and easy it is to run a server these days, but the markup in SL really is out of control.

Debating why the markup is so high might have merit, but only the most misinformed people would simply disagree. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 815 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.