Uploading picture to MP - they are all blank!

Rick Nightingale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 849 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've just recently got back into selling stuff; I had this problem years ago and it's still happening now (different PC, different photoshop etc).

I've made my advert pictures, 700x525, in photoshop. Saved as PNG. Sometimes, they will upload to the MP fine. Sometimes... not. All I get then is, well, nothing as an image. Right now I have six pictures in the MP advert I'm trying to place - every one of them actually shows no image.

If I upload to SL as a texture, it works. I've tried saving as jpg and png. I've tried converting the file in MSPaint from one format to another and uploading again... no image. I've tried converting in XNView and Irfan... same. Even saving as BMP (where the file cannot have any metadata, transparency or anything 'clever') then reconverting to png or jpg... no image.

This is driving my up the wall... again! Yet another thing here that just doesn't work.

Anyone any idea why this is happening and what I can do? Right now I can't get any image to actually show an image on the MP.

Argghhhh!

noimage.png.5058b50b41df7db4dfbb03def5f3071b.png

That's so odd, I don't think I've ever had an issue with MP images like that. I've only ever uploaded a small number of MP ads as in-world textures, so that's definitely not necessary for uploading the images on MP. Do you name your files anything strange, that could maybe be filtered as spammy or anything by your internet browser? Have you tried using another internet browser to see if it's the same issue?

Nope, no adblock; some picture have words in, some not. There's nothing installed on this PC that could interfere. Nothing strange in the names.

I've just fired up another PC and tried from there... same. No images.

I'll give Brave browser a try instead of Firefox, but really, there shouldn't be anything to stop this working. Like I said, it did this years ago and I had a completely different PC and software (and ISP, and browser...)

4 minutes ago, Rick Daylight said:

I'll give Brave browser a try instead of Firefox, but really, there shouldn't be anything to stop this working. Like I said, it did this years ago and I had a completely different PC and software (and ISP, and browser...)

I think the browser LL recommends to use with SL stuff is Chrome, I use Opera GX myself and everything seems to work perfectly. I've seen a few threads about technical difficulties from Firefox users around here but you'd think if this was a browser issue then more people would experience it as well.

If you go through with updating the listing with all the blank images, do any of them appear on the public listing page? Or does it not let you update the listing at all?

Doesn't work ina clean install of Brave.

I'm at a loss here...

The other day I was putting an advert on, and I went around in circles converting my pictures but eventually they worked. Thought I had figured it out, but the same conversion sequence today does not help. Not a single image will show up when uploaded to the MP.

I'm hardly a beginner here. CCNP, HP Enterprise Wireless Expert, decades of experience designing embeded electronics and firmware... and I can't upload a simple png image, LOL!

Edited by Rick Daylight

7 minutes ago, LilNosferatu said:

If you go through with updating the listing with all the blank images, do any of them appear on the public listing page? Or does it not let you update the listing at all?

They don't show up on the final advert if I finish it. The product page looks like it sort of knows there should be pictures, but no main image shows and if I click the 'more pictures' bit, I get a bit of a dialog box but nothing in it. Certainly no pictures.

This is what it looks like if I finish the advert and click Zoom/More:

noimage2.thumb.png.7c4d8b58cc67b0b38fdc935f95acacf0.png

Edited by Rick Daylight

10 minutes ago, Rick Daylight said:

They don't show up on the final advert if I finish it. The product page looks like it sort of knows there should be pictures, but no main image shows and if I click the 'more pictures' bit, I get a bit of a dialog box but nothing in it. Certainly no pictures.

Hmm, well I just looked it up to see if it displayed like that for me, and I see two images there! Still no idea what the problem might be, but it might just be on your end for whatever reason. 😮 

image.png.06872ee72bf1150bdc540eb4642c4a5b.png

• Like 1

Hmm... I just cleared my Firefox profile, cleared all cookies and history, and my images immediately showed up on the MP. Without having to re-upload them.

So why did it not work, then work, two days ago? Why did it *not* work in a clean install of Brave, or on another PC? Why did I have the same issue years ago on compeltely different setup, and used to get around it with the image converting circus?

Somethinig is odd with the MP, but I don't know how.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LilNosferatu said:

Hmm, well I just looked it up...

We cross posted.

Yeah... I guess the images are there, but I cannot see them. Sometimes. It's the sometimes that is confusing me. On multiple PCs and multiple browsers!

Thank you for helping - I wish I knew what was going on.

Edited by Rick Daylight
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rick Daylight said:

Somethinig is odd with the MP, but I don't know how.

The Second Life Marketplace is an enigmatic beast, like how bees defy all known laws of aviation.

But in all seriousness, I'm glad you were able to get it resolved! For now, at least! It's definitely odd that it gives you the same issue sometimes on multiple PCs and browsers, but at least you've won this round. 😄

For that item above, I did not see the images in Chrome, but I did see them in IE.   I sort of remember this from some other MP image issues a year or two back.  I checked my Chrome extensions and it does have an Adblock on it.  I disabled that, refreshed the page and now the images show.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 849 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.