AVsitter changes view to back of head on sit SOMETIMES - much testing; no answers

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1062 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was going to put this here and then decided it may be a viewer issue (which apparently it is not).  Basically when someone sits on the couch the view changes to the back of their head and also in the up and down direction. So very messy. I have been using AVsitter for many years without this showing up.  It isn't only on MY build, but also on other furniture (Trompe Loeil and Nutmeg) which WERE working just fine until a day or so ago.  

I have tried resitting scripts in JUST the couch (not connected to other mesh parts) and that doesn't solve anything. I tried putting an invisible prim as the root for folks to click --- same issue applies. I had two testers come over (very nice of them) and they had the same change of view issue. 

So if anyone here knows how I can fix this I would be very happy to know.   More info in that thread linked above.  

This behavior usually means no camera at/eye offset were assigned for each sit target in the furniture.

Most furniture retailers are oblivious of these settings too.

I've had to set them up for 44 out of 45 different pieces of furniture that I use with my adult app.

The only reason you see it "sometimes" is when you are alt camming something when sitting.

If your camera was "reset" and actively following your avatar, it would go behind your head on sit if no at/eye offset is assigned to the sit target you are sitting on.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlSetLinkCamera

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

This behavior usually means no camera at/eye offset were assigned for each sit target in the furniture.

Most furniture retailers are oblivious of these settings too.

I've had to set them up for 44 out of 45 different pieces of furniture that I use with my adult app.

The only reason you see it "sometimes" is when you are alt camming something when sitting.

If your camera was "reset" and actively following your avatar, it would go behind your head on sit if no at/eye offset is assigned to the sit target you are sitting on.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlSetLinkCamera

But --- :D.  I have never ever assigned anything that you described to any furniture.  I did this couch just the way I have done a hundred other couches and chairs and pose props. AND the same switching occurs NOW (not previously) on furniture made by other well known folks  -- furniture that I have never ever had any issues with and which was working as it should two days ago.   And I wasn't Alt + camming when sitting. I just would right click and "sit here".  So while this is likely true for you -- I don't see how it has much to do with what is happening in my world (and those that tested for me so like five other folks).   

It doesn't just happen at my sim, but at the beach sim that I have a place on. It happens with various avatars. It started happening two days ago. It has nothing to do with what I am wearing (a suggestion on that other thread) because I changed clothes AND it happens to others too and with the Linden viewer as well as Firestorm.   

The fact that "sometimes" things work is the most confusing part. It seems like if you have just logged in or teleported over the problem is there -- later it  is not  or at least that is the lingering feeling that I have.  I am wondering if this is something to do with a change in the server code as we had a restart a couple of days ago also; I was logged off for that.   Other than that, I have no idea.

I do appreciate you replying though.   I have gone to Plan B and if this doesn't rectify itself by the time the event opens I am going with that "unplanned - plan" :D.    I can't put out furniture that does this.   

I just did another test with a couch that I made months ago for an Advent gift. It NOW has the same behavior. It did NOT when made.   I can't see that this is "Me" at all. Something has definitely changed.  I hope it gets fixed.   

Movin' on I guess. 

16 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I just did another test with a couch that I made months ago for an Advent gift. It NOW has the same behavior. It did NOT when made.   I can't see that this is "Me" at all. Something has definitely changed.  I hope it gets fixed.   

Movin' on I guess. 

Why not file a bug report at https://jira.secondlife.com/ with steps to repro as well as steps to compare the same objects working correctly elsewhere?

Nothing will be fixed without going through official channels.

I'd also like to see where this is not working and where it is as described.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Why not file a bug report at https://jira.secondlife.com/ with steps to repro as well as steps to compare the same objects working correctly elsewhere?

Nothing will be fixed without going through official channels.

I'd also like to see where this is not working and where it is as described.

I  can't find anywhere that things are working correctly :D.   And I gave up on bug reports awhile back. I was hoping it was "me" so that it could be remedied lickety split.    So I just did a workaround and that's good. The issue  will likely get fixed in time, but just not in the time period that I need it for this project. It's all good. Plan B is more interesting anyway :D.  Just frustrating.  The link to the place where people tested is in that other forum post -- hence how they tested. It has been "broken" for everyone testing and reporting although "I" can sometime sit properly -- a now and then thing.  One very helpful person even sent me a video of their trial. That was very nice of them.

I have so very many things not working with my viewer (already in the JIRA) that this is just one more. But I don't feel I can put the build out for sale in the current climate so have worked around that also.   I am good at "flowing around the rocks".    The build I am working on will be out there for a few more days before set up.   I need those prims for winter decorating!!!! 

No, it is not new behavior. Most of the time user has to cam on a seat to use it, it is routine SL movement, simply something you don’t paying attention to. So, in that case, camera would stay in position. Even if you release it with Esc key, it will just zoom out and go up a bit, staying close to original position. But, if the camera is free, then it will go behind avatar by default.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RohanaRaven Zerbino said:

No, it is not new behavior. Most of the time user has to cam on a seat to use it, it is routine SL movement, simply something you don’t paying attention to. So, in that case, camera would stay in position. Even if you release it with Esc key, it will just zoom out and go up a bit, staying close to original position. But, if the camera is free, then it will go behind avatar by default.

Well I haven't had to for almost thirteen years LOL.  I just right click and sit in Firestorm with no twirling in back of head issue.  I vaguely remember this ptonlrm from before the 3rd party viewer days.    Guess I am very lucky or have some odd settings.

I made a bonus version of the stationary (no animations) build and turned that into a wearable pose prop.  That will be "my" solution.     

Moving on. I have snow to distribute  :D.

On 11/6/2021 at 12:04 PM, Chic Aeon said:

Well I haven't had to for almost thirteen years LOL

Unless you changed the default camera settings in your viewer, you had it, you just didn’t pay attention to it like most of us.

I’ve bumped my head over the same problem years ago till I realized it is not up to animation system as every animation system was doing the same thing, MLP, AVSitter and Perfect sitter that was still in use at the time. It is up to default camera behavior and what camera actually sees and follows.

I will try to explain as much as I am able to.

When it comes to animations, camera doesn’t see nor care for your avatar or animation. All it sees and follows is avatar’s bounding box, so called Hitbox. When positioning avatar according to an object, you actually position Hitbox not avatar inside. One of the great illusions of SL.

When free, camera’s default place is behind Hitbox, just as it is when you walk.

When zooming on walking or flying avatar, you will notice that your camera will follow it, it will move together with a zoomed avatar. Walk/fly from point A to point B is actually possible only because Hitbox movement is changing its position according to grid. Your camera will follow movements of walking/flying avatar because it is “glued” to Hitbox with the zoom.

But as soon as avatar stops walking or flying, Hitbox is not controlled by keyboard anymore and will stay in one place, regardless what animation you might see on the screen (avatar walking in circles, jumping, dancing, whatever). Therefore, your camera will stay in one place as well. If you release it, it will jump on its default position, behind you.

So, in short, camera doesn’t see if you are sitting in the chair, standing freely in a park, dancing in a club, it has eyes for Hitbox only. It is never ending secret love that - it seems - only few are aware in SL. 😅

This camera behavior is not something you could solve (unless you want to use AvSitter camera settings and that option has its own rules for using), it is default behavior and therefor it is no reason for extra work. Now if you want to offer something more to your customers, that is another story 😊

If you are curios too examine relations between animation and Hitbox you could turn it on in Firestorm by going to Developer/Render Metadata/Avatar Hitboxes.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1062 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.