Visible Light Beams

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 921 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Other than using prims and projectors, is there any other way to create this effect?

Beam created by phantom prim, transparency at 100% and glow at .1%
Actual light created by projector prim with included image set to same width and depth and placed on top of the beam prim.

I really like the effect and I'm hoping I don't have engineer it with prims etc...

Snapshot_176.png

Faded Circle.jpg

Aside from particles (which I'm not sure how they work at all, or whether they could actually achieve anything quite like that) and editing .. None I can think of. 

You can generate light beams in a few different ways in image manipulation programs, but it'll probably be easier to use a prim to at least get something that you can then edit.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Aside from particles (which I'm not sure how they work at all, or whether they could actually achieve anything quite like that) and editing .. None I can think of. 

You can generate light beams in a few different ways in image manipulation programs, but it'll probably be easier to use a prim to at least get something that you can then edit.

I was afraid of that. For foggy or underwater images the way the light plays on the subject can make or break an image. Thanks for responding!

You have found the basic way I think most of us do light-beams in-world.

The Black Dragon Viewer has a feature called God-Rays. NiranV does some nice shots using those light rays. But, he wrote the computer code that makes the rays. So, I expect him to know how to use the feature. I keep meaning to try it and never get around to it.

Look up the how to on his blog: Black Dragon Viewer.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 11:29 PM, Nalates Urriah said:

You have found the basic way I think most of us do light-beams in-world.

The Black Dragon Viewer has a feature called God-Rays. NiranV does some nice shots using those light rays. But, he wrote the computer code that makes the rays. So, I expect him to know how to use the feature. I keep meaning to try it and never get around to it.

Look up the how to on his blog: Black Dragon Viewer.

I didn't write it, that was Tofu Buzzard (formerly Tofu Linden). I just made the shader its own separate thing and added it as actual post processing effect and modified it to fix and circumvent a lot of issues the original implementation had.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 921 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.