LLRegionSayTo not working in 1 particular region

Nika Talaj

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 962 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I have an old visitor counter script that I wrote years ago.  It's always worked fine, and in fact it's working now in 4 regions.  But in ONE region, it will not report in chat.  I narrowed it down to a failure of the llRegionSayTo function - if I replace LLRegionSayTo with llSay, it works fine.  So I did this little piece of test code, which ALSO fails.  When I touch the box it's in, it only says "Say Worked"!"  Any ideas as to why this is failing in this one region?  It does not seem to matter WHERE I put the script in the parcel, I've tried 4 places.  ETA: Btw, it USED to work just fine in this region, for years.

Oh, and this region is a private estate that is running the same version of server software as all the other regions I tested.  Is there some region-wide setting the estate owner could set that would bork llRegionSayTo?  Or is there some spamming thing that could be in this region (we just have a parcel) that could selectively block llRegionSayTo?  Script performance in general looks acceptable.

(note: I replaced my actual key with nn in this code segment because I am a totally paranoid oldbie)

{
    state_entry()
    {
        llSay(0, "Hello, Avatar!");
    }

touch_start(integer total_number)
    {
        key me = llDetectedKey(0);
        llRegionSayTo("nn", 0, "Hi this is SayTo");
        if (me == "nn") llSay(0, "Say Worked!");
    }
}

Edited by Nika Talaj

llRegionSayTo has a /Nasty/ throttle if you accidentally abuse it.

Messages sent on channel zero via LLRegionSayTo() are blocked after 200 messages on to the same destination in a 10 second period. After this throttle is activated, there is a further throttle, on objects belonging to the owner of the object that triggered the first throttle, of 100 messages per object over 5 minutes (see https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-5457). The block is region-wide and applies to all objects belonging to the owner, so if a script triggers the throttle, all objects in the same region belonging to the same owner will also be blocked. Messages sent on channels other than zero do not trigger the throttles. The throttles apparently reset only when the region is restarted.

Despite what the wiki says, I have noticed it just flat out not sending messages at all after the throttle kicks in.

P.S. Avatar UUIDs are totally public information. yours starts with cfdc and ends with 3723

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Like 2

It's actually not a really nasty throttle (see http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlRegionSayTo#Caveats).  You have to have a fairly abusive script to hit the limits:

There is a per-destination throttle of 200 messages sent over 10 seconds on channel zero. Thereafter, there is also a per-sending-object throttle of 100 messages on channel zero over 300 seconds (5 minutes). This throttle is relevant only after the first throttle is activated. Messages sent on channels other than zero do not trigger the throttle but, once it is triggered, the block applies to all channels. The block is region-wide and applies to all objects with the same owner. The block apparently lasts until the region is restarted.

It's designed to discourage systems that overwhelm server resources by spamming the public chat channel way faster than is reasonable, and it is only applied per owner, so it's narrowly targeted not to hit everyone else.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

It's actually not a really nasty throttle

If/when it works exactly as the Wiki says it does, then I agree it's not /that/ nasty. Last time I accidentally triggered the throttle however (I had an unintentional infinite while loop), it just plain stopped all of my llRegionSayTos rather than limiting them to such and such amount per 5 minutes.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 962 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.