An issue with what seems to have no solution

Leah Jhamin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 963 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi. Yesterday, I pulled up Preferences, Network & Files, and recently cleared my browser cache, but somehow something set off my graphics and made the outer line around my avatar, furniture, and every other item in-world, look extremely ridged. Before performing this action, the lines looked smooth, like a flawless drawing. It's appeared smoothly for several years now. Usually, I go into Phototools, Gen, and set the Anti-aliasing to 16x (smoothest), and the Texture Bumpiness to very fine. Btw, those are my current settings as well, but the ridged lines are still there! I often take photos, so you can imagine the horror I'm facing with the jagged lines! I'm wondering if this is an issue pinpointed outside of the Firestorm browser (graphics-wise) (though it shouldn't be because everything looks fine on my laptop screen), or is it solely based in Firestorm/Second Life? Did I reset something? Doesn't look like I did, but I could be wrong. I just want to get back to the clean, crisp, clear appearance that I had before all this took place, literally a day ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Do you have a screenshot to show what you mean? It does sounds like you've messed up Anti aliasing somewhere.

If you have changed your driver settings externally so that the driver settings override the application then that can prevent the viewer from overriding it. 

One option is to hit the little "recycle"  arrow on the right of the performance/quality slider in the viewer preferences. This will reset to the default for your hardware, and should (hopefully) wipe out any weirdness. Then you'll have to go through and fiddle with them again to get them how you want of course.

It was suggested to me that I should check the Anti-aliasing in my graphics card control panel, in the graphics control center, but I can't find it there. This is what led me to believe that it's an outside issue from Firestorm. Every thing that you mentioned sounds true! And now I'm worried because Idk what to do. However, I will follow your lead. Thanks so much.

Sounds like AA is not working because Deferred Rendering is not enabled, for AA to work you need to have "Advanced Lighting Model" enabled, also everything above 2x does nothing, unless its Firestorm in which case i heard they brought back the Multisample AA thus making 4x and so on actually work. I do not recommend forcing AA via drivers as it applies to everything including the UI and text making it harder to read.

Edited by NiranV Dean

23 minutes ago, NiranV Dean said:

Sounds like AA is not working because Deferred Rendering is not enabled, for AA to work you need to have "Advanced Lighting Model" enabled, also everything above 2x does nothing, unless its Firestorm in which case i heard they brought back the Multisample AA thus making 4x and so on actually work. I do not recommend forcing AA via drivers as it applies to everything including the UI and text making it harder to read.

Thanks, I'll look into that! Recently, I contacted Dell and the agent went in my system and increased the memory; he did this while I was in SL. Worked like a charm! I guess something changed when I performed the clear browser cache.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 963 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.