Editing Appearance - incredible lag

Data Austin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 967 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have seen this issue all over the web, without a solution. I bought a new machine - mid level gaming. It has a Ryzen 7 with an onboard Vega 8 gpu - 8 gb of ram. 8 gb of DDR4 Ram in the machine. It exceeds the specs for SL, plays Senua and Inquisition with no issue. This machine has been stellar for SL in terms of everything except appearance and changing items/outfits. The GPU temps on the machine are well within normal gaming range. 

When I go to Edit Appearance and try to alter the avatar itself, it literally takes up to 2-3 min to load. The screen freezes and sometimes blinks back and forth from black. Once the Edit options load, I can edit. However, when I scroll to the next set of options, the same thing happens. I also often have a similar issue with clothing and attachments from inventory. This happens with attachments on the avatar or starting from naked. I have also shut down everything on the machine except the viewer; no change. 

I have read that this is a common issue since the Windows10 update. I have yet to see a solution. I have adjusted settings about a half dozen times. this happens in Firestorm, SL viewer, Singularity (all latest viewers) and one more that I tried and uninstall because it was the same. (Can't remember which one.)

Is anyone else here having this problem? I am on ethernet, Xfinity, with an average bandwidth of 275 stable. I look forward to responses. Thank you!

Location InWorld: Everywhere I go it is the same, regardless of whether public or private, even when I am the only avie and there is no lag otherwise. 

• Like 1

I suggest you post your viewer & computer specs using the viewer's HELP->About...  If there is a hardware or driver problem we'll be able to see it.

You can try turning off your Anti-Virus for an hour then start your viewer. If this makes a difference then white-list your viewer's program files and cache folders. You can look in your Windows Users folder to find your self (aka the Windows User) then look in C:\Users\[Windows_user]\AppData. Go through those folders to find your viewer's folders. White list those folders. That will get your chat, caches, and settings folders. Also look in C:\Program Files and find your viewer there. White list these folders. That gets your viewer's program and various control files.

This stops your AV from checking these folders and files every time your viewer accesses them. This is low risk as the Lab checks their uploads and downloads for viruses plus the storage formats used in the asset database are not virus friendly.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Data Austin said:

@Nalates Urriah - I really appreciate that information. I didn't realize I would have to wait an hour after turning off the av to see if that would make a difference. I will try that first. 

You don't have to WAIT an hour... just disable your AV for an hour so you have plenty time to experiment.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 967 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.