My first name and last name?

xavierzhao

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3993 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hi all, i just registered user xavierzhao. when i trying to login to server an error has occurred.

i typed the first name is xavier and last name is zhao, or the fist name is zhao and last name is xavier.

but username still error.

Can anyone tell me my fist name and last name?

thanks for you help.

Not good idea from LL to hide the Resident last names. If it would be visible everywhere, it would be lot less confusing to new people.

Edit: There are no single name accounts in SL. It is technically impossible. There has always been and always will be only 2 name accounts. Hiding your head in the sand does not make the world disappear.

• 2 years later...

Kitteh Scientist wrote:

Not good idea from LL to hide the Resident last names. If it would be visible everywhere, it would be lot less confusing to new people.

Edit: There are no single name accounts in SL. It is technically impossible. There has always been and always will be only 2 name accounts. Hiding your head in the sand does not make the world disappear.

The Second Life database stores names as the 'username' - this is the 'singlename' (not 'singlename Resident') for those who registered after mid-2010, and those with last names (or surnames as they are sometimes called) have their names stored as 'firstname.lastname' so that the code can treat them all as single name strings.  The whole initial idea of removing last names was to make it easier for storage and retrieval, though I doubt that decision would have been taken if the current CEO had been in charge then.  A subsequent study, after the current CEO arrived, decided not to reinstate last names - probably because of all the work required to re-instate them in a way that the residents (especially those with just one name) would be happy with.

There is, of course, the ongoing problem that some other Second Life sites (and not just Third Party Viewers) require you to have two names e.g.  the official Second Life Wiki,  so residents with just one name need to be aware of the 'Resident' pseudo-last name that has to be used in some places.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3993 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.