Teleport disconnection

KarineJolly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1019 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello,

I often get disconnected when tping. Usually, the first and second tp are fine but afterwards i'm getting disconnected when trying to tp. The tp load bar is going very slow but i can still chat. And people at the arrival destination see me arriving "in pieces". Usually i get disconeected after a while and when relogging in a different place, it seems like my avi is in two places at once, my new one and the one i tried to reach before. I've been told "ah here you are" when i was in a totally different region. So it seems like there are differnet instances running at the same time that prevents me from tping. And also, when i need to close SL with Ctrl Alt Del, i have many Firestorm's processes working at the same time. Could anyone help me witht his issues ?

11 answers to this question

30 minutes ago, KarineJolly said:

when i need to close SL with Ctrl Alt Del, i have many Firestorm's processes working at the same time. Could anyone help me witht his issues ?

For one thing, that's not a good way to log out of SL.  There's a nice big red X in the upper right corner of your viewer screen for that, or you can use CTRL + Q (which is the same thing as Me >>> Exit Second Life in your viewer menu).   That's more likely to close all of the running routines in an orderly fashion.  There are, indeed, several programs running in the background while you are logged in.  I can't begin to guess what most of them doo, but the general goal is to manage the communication between your viewer and the SL servers, which have to remain in sync continuously for you to stay logged in.  When you teleport, data regarding who you are, what you are carrying, and exactly how fast you are going are transferred from one server to another. If that mess of scripts and servers loses track of the information -- a hiccup in the Internet, a missed packet of data ... -- you're toast.

Edited by Rolig Loon

10 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

For one thing, that's not a good way to log out of SL.  There's a nice big red X in the upper right corner of your viewer screen for that, or you can use CTRL + Q (which is the same thing as Me >>> Exit Second Life in your viewer menu).   

Yes i know but sometimes the regular way of closing it wont work. So that's why i have to close SL the hard way. But i will try Ctrl Q, thank you.

And you rebooted the router and modem as part of the process too, just in case?  Thing is, disconnects are often caused by a local hardware issue, and a messed up router or modem are the first suspects.  I didn't go there first because you were quitting SL in a non-standard way that I thought might have scrambled your login files, but that's probably the next thing to try if you haven't already.  Just unplug the router and modem from the power for a couple of minutes, plug them back in, and restart everything.  Avoid using a wifi Internet connection if you can, because there's a possibility that the culprit might also be signal interference from nearby electrical equipment.

No i didnt do that. I will try that later because i'm going on holidays tomorrow :). I thought it might also come from my router which is my phone actually. I'm using it with a connection sharing through USB. Maybe the connection is less goodthan with a modem although the speed test says i've got a very good connection. Anyway, i'll try again when i come back. Thanks a lot for your help :)

Good luck, and have a pleasant holiday. 

To think about when you return ... A speed test isn't going to tell you anything that makes much of a difference to SL. Speed is not a vital factor.  Reliability is, though. If your connection is showing more than about 0.1% packets dropped, or if your ping time to the SL servers is much over 150 msec, you'll start to have trouble teleporting.  Much more than that and you may start to have trouble logging in, or staying logged in.  You can check both of those factors near the top in your Statistics Bar (CTRL + Shift + 1).  The challenge is that SL depends on sending data back and forth from your viewer to the SL servers 45 times a second, because the servers need to know exactly where you are, what is attached to you, and what you may be sitting on all the time.  Without that information, they can't tell everyone around you that you are there, and they can't move you properly.  You'll experience lag, rubber-banding, and other problems.  So, staying in sync with the servers is way more important than having a fast connection.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 12:34 AM, Rolig Loon said:

Good luck, and have a pleasant holiday. 

To think about when you return ... A speed test isn't going to tell you anything that makes much of a difference to SL. Speed is not a vital factor.  Reliability is, though. If your connection is showing more than about 0.1% packets dropped, or if your ping time to the SL servers is much over 150 msec, you'll start to have trouble teleporting.  Much more than that and you may start to have trouble logging in, or staying logged in.  You can check both of those factors near the top in your Statistics Bar (CTRL + Shift + 1).  The challenge is that SL depends on sending data back and forth from your viewer to the SL servers 45 times a second, because the servers need to know exactly where you are, what is attached to you, and what you may be sitting on all the time.  Without that information, they can't tell everyone around you that you are there, and they can't move you properly.  You'll experience lag, rubber-banding, and other problems.  So, staying in sync with the servers is way more important than having a fast connection.

Hey there Rolig :) How are you ? My holidays are over, unfortunately....so as you said, i watched the Stats bar...and t appears that the Ping Sim is over 150 ms (between 220 and 260 actually).  The packets dropped are 0% though. Do you think that this ping is the cause of the tp issues ?

I think that sounds very likely.  Depending on where you live, unfortunately, there may not be much you can do about it.  Ping time is largely a matter of distance that signals need to travel from source to receiver.  That's why ping times to the SL servers in California are, on average,  well under 100 msec in most of North America but are typically as high as 150 msec or more in Europe.  You can't do much about how far you are from the servers.  You might be able to talk your Internet Service Provider into finding a way to route your signals through a faster set of nodes along the way, but only if you do your homework and if the ISP is willing (and able) to to the work.  Have a look at Nalates's blog.

BTW, if you happen to be using a satellite connection for the Internet, replace it with cable if you have that option. A satellite is obviously well above the Earth's surface, so a signal traveling up and back down again has to travel much farther than on on the ground.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1019 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.