My animation stopped working when I switched back from my furry avatar.

Pup Karu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1100 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My usual avatar has been using an animation (for standing, walking etc) for years. I bought a complete furry avatar, tried it on with its own animation, and then replaced that outfit with the outfit of my usual avatar.

But now my old animation has stopped working.

How can I get my old animation to work again on my usual avatar?

4 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Pup Karu said:

My usual avatar has been using an animation (for standing, walking etc) for years. I bought a complete furry avatar, tried it on with its own animation, and then replaced that outfit with the outfit of my usual avatar.

But now my old animation has stopped working.

How can I get my old animation to work again on my usual avatar?

Did you try resetting skeleton and animations in avatar health?  

• Like 1

Yes, and I even found the scripts in the animation and went to edit > content > reset scripts, but that didn't clear the problem either. 

Of course, from time to time my animation mysteriously starts working again, but I never can figure out what restarted it.

And then it goes out on me again.

I guess I should have made a backup copy of the animation when I got it, but it's 'no copy' so I couldn't figure out how to do that.

Worst case: I'll just buy a new animation, hoping it won't get stuck as well. Suggestions?

Suggestions.... yeah.

Avatar animations are either the default animations built into the SL system or animations controlled via a script, which is usually in an Animation Override (AO) HUD/attachment or one built into the viewer. But, anything attached to the avatar or viewer can control how the avatar is animated. Some clothes are scripted to play animations. I have a T-shirt top that I can click to flash my breasts. The top animates and comes up as my arms move to look like they are lifting the top. The animations and scripts are in the t-shirt.

There are a couple of ways animation control is implemented. Suffice to say the two methods often interfere if used together. The AO built into the Firestorm viewer uses the newer method. Wear a HUD using the older method and you get a conflict that results in the avatar sort of freezing and sliding rather than walking. How the avatar behaves in this case is inconsistent. Some times it walks using either the walk in the old or new AO and often it just slides and doesn't walk and this all seems to change each time I press W to walk.

Having backups of items in SL is always a good idea. But, your problem is not likely a broken animation. You more likely have a messed up AO or have removed the AO you used originally.

A new animation is likely to suffer the same problems you see now. Buying new is not likely to help. Solve the problem so you can understand what went wrong and avoid it in the future.

I suggest you strip your avatar down to the nude Classic avatar and remove all your HUD and other attachments. Then see how your avatar moves. Do this in the most empty region you can find. Try Furball. If the walk animations are intermittent then it may be a lag issue. The region server has to tell your viewer and all those viewers seeing you which animation to play. So a laggy server can mess things up. Furball should not be a problem. There is lots of info in this forum section about figuring out what is lagging and how to work around it.

Rebuild your avatar's look one item at a time. See if the animation behavior changes when an item is added. If it does remove the item to see it if it did cause the change. If this identifies the problem, you know the item  not to wear. Rebuild your avatar without that item.

If you still have not gotten your original walk back, you'll have to did through your inventory to find the AO that was part of your avatar.

I suspect you started in SL with a starter avatar. It may have had an AO. As you changed your appearance you didn't notice the AO. But, when you REPLACED the original with the new furry the AO got removed. So, you are likely stuck using the SL default animations.

It should be obvious I am doing a lot of guessing. I hope the information gives you some insight into how the animations work so you can find the problem. If not we need more information on what you are doing and how you have the avatar set up. Be nice to know which viewer you are using.

PS: When you do get your avatar working, save the setup as an OUTFIT. Makes it easy to experiment and and return to your original avatar.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1100 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.