Moving help ...

Cecilia Dallas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1150 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a cute 1024 beachy island parcel on mainland with two small skyboxes above. Everything (snugly) fits into my 351 allowance. Going to buy a 2048 parcel (and sell the island) on a completely separate sim, and build a small public garden at ground level, but I have a question about "moving" the skyboxes.

I want to move them intact from above old parcel to above new parcel, so that I don't have to spend hours redecorating either one; in other words, I'd rather not have to rezz the skyboxes on the new parcel, move them up 2,000m, and then spend hours putting all the furniture back into each one.

Is there an easy way to move entire furnished skyboxes from one sim to another?

Thank you!

Edited by BastetsDaughter

16 minutes ago, BastetsDaughter said:

I have a cute 1024 beachy island parcel on mainland with two small skyboxes above. Everything (snugly) fits into my 351 allowance. Going to buy a 2048 parcel (and sell the island) on a completely separate sim, and build a small public garden at ground level, but I have a question about "moving" the skyboxes.

I want to move them intact from above old parcel to above new parcel, so that I don't have to spend hours redecorating either one; in other words, I'd rather not have to rezz the skyboxes on the new parcel, move them up 2,000m, and then spend hours putting all the furniture back into each one.

Is there an easy way to move entire furnished skyboxes from one sim to another?

Thank you!

I would highly recommend picking up any 'NO COPY' items individually first.

Then check the Land Objects tab to see how much LI is currently rezzed. 

Make sure you have camera constraints disabled.  Scroll your view out until you can see the entire skybox --- you need to be able to outline it.  Open the Build/Edit window.  Now draw a box around the skybox and it should select the skybox and all objects inside.  You might need to adjust your draw distance and even bump your LOD setting in order to grab everything.  The edit window will tell you how much total LI is selected -- you can compare that with what the Land Objects tab told you.   If you do this method, then unselect the Skybox itself and then re-select it ---- so that it is the last item selected.  Then you simply rez at the new location -- either on the ground and change the Z position (which is for the last selected item, the Skybox) - or rez it all up on a platform at the desired height.

Sometimes you cannot get everything in one bundle -- depends on the sizes and distances of things.  Also too many items in a grouping or too many scripts in the grouping and it can become impossible to re-rez the group. 

Due to possible issues with rezzing, combined with the issue of sometimes not being able to grab everything in one blob anyway, I personally think that it is just easier and safer to grab things in smaller groupings.  To make placement at the new location easier, you could rez a new prim in each room - label it so you know what room it is and make note of the XYZ coordinates of the new prim.  Grab everything in the room and then select that new prim last and Take all of the objects.  Repeat for each room/area.  Then, before picking up the Skybox, note it's XYZ coordinates.  At the new place, you can rez the Skybox and get it positioned.  Then using the old Skybox XYZ coordinates, the new Skybox XYZ coordinates, and the XYZ coordinates of each 'group' of items, you can calculate what the new XYZ settings should be for each of the groups that you took up -- that will make repositioning them in the new location much easier.

• Thanks 1

Make sure to disable limited selection distance in your viewer. And check for missing items as it often doesn't select everything. You can add these to your selection holding down shift and clicking them.

You also want to rez a box in exactly the center of your land and select this box in your selection as last so its the (kind of) root of your selection. And then on the new parcel, also rez a box exactly in the center and drop your item ontop of that box so that its in the exact same location and you don't have to worry about stuff being returned because it rezed outside of your parcel.

Finally, probably the most practical thing. Make sure you have the build window open when you rez so that when you rez it everything is selected and you can move it without having to re-selecting everything.

Edited by bobsknief Orsini
spelling

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1150 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.