Tattoos ... look good in edit mode, grey in live mode ... what is wrong?

Katherine Heartsong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1245 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Easy enough to create BOM tattoos (been using Photoshop professionally since it was version 1) ... 

Watched a 10 minute tutorial. That was easy. I see why now people create for entire body since it seems a shame to waste that amount of useable space, but good enough for me. I'm only looking for sleeves and not whole body work, so I thought I'd design my own (including the ones on my actual RL skin) and that I'd bang a few out for myself tonight as a test.

Cool, easy .. in edit mode everything looks good .. minute I go out of edit mode top skin goes grey. The tattoo file is a local one for the time being, if that helps.

Any idea what the devil is going wrong?

test-1.jpg

test-2.jpg

Edited by Katherine Heartsong

So A trick you can do for testing is

apply the local texture to a box and get the temp UUID from there

Then plug that UUID into an applier and apply it the tattoo layer for you body. 

this way you can see how it will look when you finally upload it for BOM.

I do this, have done this, for maitreya, but I'm sure it'll work for any of the mesh bodies that have applier kits.

it's been a while since I've done this, so I don't remember if when you make changes in Photoshop and reexport if it will update on the layer automatically or if you need to activate the applier again, but on the fly change previews are possible this way and saves a lot of lindens.

Alternately, log on to the testing grid where they give you a bushel basket of money and upload to your hearts content there for testing so it doesn't cost an arm and a leg on the live server.  I do that for meshes. 

Edited by Anna Salyx
edit to add back in a dropped sentence.
  • Thanks 1

On 12/7/2020 at 3:42 AM, Katherine Heartsong said:

I see why now people create for entire body since it seems a shame to waste that amount of useable space, but good enough for me.

If you use BoM it doesn't actually matter that you are wasting texture space as the skin+tattoo are fused together server side, you and everyone seeing it only receive one final texture in the end.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1245 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.