It may have already been asked but when is Mesh Viewer being released exactly?

Vengeance Ethaniel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been building for 5 years but making 3D meshes for 13 years, mainly for peoples mods on the Valve/Steam games.

Should i just carry on building or wait until i can fully utilize my skills?  If i carry on building i just ask myself

"What's the point when you'll be able to make something 500 times better looking when mesh viewer gets released?"

I'm good at making very well made meshes with low poly counts too (kinda a requirement for games lol) but what happens if others are using viewer 1,2 or any other viewer?  How will my meshes apear to them?  As a triangle?  Don't want to spend ages making top quality meshes if only 20% of the Second Life users are going to be able to see it.

I'm in 2 minds whether or not to even bother wirth it to be honest.. I mean yes it looks great, my computer can handle it on max settings but it's all for nothing if others can't appreciate my work.  I'm assuming that MW won't work as well for a lot of the users so i dunno really...

Anyhoo thanks ^.^

Your concerns are normal and you are not only one. At the moment you can test mesh on Aditi (beta grid). You probably already know about it but I prefer to mention this possibility.

Second Life is constantly improving. From my experience people want the best quality and if mesh can provide better quality this is the direction that peoples' interest will grow. There are many signals that creators hold on and work already with meshes. That can mean also that at the beginning there will be high level and in short time many mesh items will be introduced. The new solutions always win attention at the beginning so many creators keep that in mind. There were such cases already in Second Life history:

- flexi prims,

- sculpts.

Looking into the past you can see some implications for mesh in the future. You can decide to deal with mesh in Second Life later when many Residenst will be able to see mesh obejcts or at the beginning. All depends on your long term strategy as creator.

Vengeance Ethaniel wrote:Don't want to spend ages making top quality meshes if only 20% of the Second Life users are going to be able to see it.

I guess that when meshes are hitting main grid, then people will rush to mesh enabled viewer versions soon. And haven't all major viewers meanwhile started to support mesh-features or at least started to implement them ? So i believe that even if you do not want to jump on the V2 train,it looks to me that there will be options for everybody (to keep with their habits AND get access to mesh) ...

Ignore my comment in the other thread about polygon count, I didn't realize you had experience doing game mods.  There will be a transition period as Mesh-enabled viewers ramp up in use, but I think once people start seeing pictures of what they are missing, a lot will switch over.  The approach I am taking is to try different types of models to learn the SL workflow, but I am not mass producing stuff yet because the software isn't final.  In fact, a change to the asset format (internal to SL) is due any time now, so anything already uploaded will need to loaded again.  Once a release date is announced and we know the software is stable, that's when I plan to start producing in earnest.

The Lab has not yet given us an ETA. Someone asks this question every week in the Mesh Group Office Hour.

Oz Linden in one of the office hours meetings announced that by the end of this month we would have some announcement and time line. Tateru broke that news on Dwell On It last week.

Depending on who you talk to we'll see mesh on the main grid by the end of June (me) or the end of the year. But, all of that is speculation.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.