Combining Chat Logs

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1434 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I go from PC to PC and Laptop and Chromebook. I want to combine my chats . Is there an easy way of doing this without having to go through each chat and copying and pasting? I have a lot of friends, so it would be extremely time consuming. I need to be able to reflect back on things that have been said. Does anyone know an easy way?

You will need to have some kind of shared storage for all the computers you use for SL. I'm a Mac user, so I use my iCloud Drive. In Firestorm, you can tell the viewer where to store chat logs in Preferences -> Network & Files -> Directories. Set the path for "Conversation logs & transcripts location:" to point to a folder in your shared storage area. If you want to preserve your existing log files, copy the existing top-level folder (the one originally shown in preferences) from your most often used computer to your shared location BEFORE changing the path. Then change the path to point to that folder. Change that path in all of the viewers you use, across all the computers you use.

• Like 1

For those not on Macs,. there is Windiff (in windows) , and Unison on Linux that can synch files between directories on various machines on the same LAN.

So if you're running Windows and you have the chatlogs on a PC and on a chrome book both in publicly-accessible shared folders, then something like "windiff \\myPc\Chatlogs \\myChromeBook\chatlogs" will compare the two directories and give you the option to copy changed or new files from the one to the other. 

If you're running Linux then (of course) it's not quite so simple and you have to go through a few hoops first of all with the keyring for public shares followed by setting up Unison, followed by sorting out the correct permissions,... but again, it's fairly simple once those initial pains have been suffered.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku

9 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

You will need to have some kind of shared storage for all the computers you use for SL. I'm a Mac user, so I use my iCloud Drive. In Firestorm, you can tell the viewer where to store chat logs in Preferences -> Network & Files -> Directories. Set the path for "Conversation logs & transcripts location:" to point to a folder in your shared storage area. If you want to preserve your existing log files, copy the existing top-level folder (the one originally shown in preferences) from your most often used computer to your shared location BEFORE changing the path. Then change the path to point to that folder. Change that path in all of the viewers you use, across all the computers you use.

That's not possible for me. Well, not Impossible, but I would have to set up another PC on 24/7.

9 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

For those not on Macs,. there is Windiff (in windows) , and Unison on Linux that can synch files between directories on various machines on the same LAN.

So if you're running Windows and you have the chatlogs on a PC and on a chrome book both in publicly-accessible shared folders, then something like "windiff \\myPc\Chatlogs \\myChromeBook\chatlogs" will compare the two directories and give you the option to copy changed or new files from the one to the other. 

If you're running Linux then (of course) it's not quite so simple and you have to go through a few hoops first of all with the keyring for public shares followed by setting up Unison, followed by sorting out the correct permissions,... but again, it's fairly simple once those initial pains have been suffered.

I'll try windiff. i used that years ago, but I can't remember what it can do. sounds like a good option though. Thanks!!

Edited by Bagnu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1434 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.