Looking to start creating my own clothes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1322 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I'm hoping somebody here can help me out? As the title states I'm looking to start my own clothing line. Specifically just uploading my own textures to stuff.. though I have no idea where I'd start?

I've seen alot of items in SL do look the same just with peoples owns texturing/designs on them and I'm wondering how exactly that works? Is there like a template database for stuff? Really, I just want to design a cropped hoodie with halloween decor on them. TIA ❤️ 

7 minutes ago, Alexis Kiyori said:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I'm hoping somebody here can help me out? As the title states I'm looking to start my own clothing line. Specifically just uploading my own textures to stuff.. though I have no idea where I'd start?

I've seen alot of items in SL do look the same just with peoples owns texturing/designs on them and I'm wondering how exactly that works? Is there like a template database for stuff? Really, I just want to design a cropped hoodie with halloween decor on them. TIA ❤️ 

You can buy full perm items on the marketplace.  Just be sure to read and follow the enclosed instructions and/or restrictions.  I know a few people who do the same with furniture.  

3 hours ago, Alexis Kiyori said:

I've seen alot of items in SL do look the same just with peoples owns texturing/designs on them and I'm wondering how exactly that works? Is there like a template database for stuff?

There is no database, but many creators provide a template for their own product and either bundle it as a texture with the item in SL or make it available for download from a website. Also, anything that uses Bakes on Mesh follows SL's own ages-old avatar UV template.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also trying to learn. I want to download clothing templates and texture them with my own designs in photoshop. I wish I could find something that takes you step by step with every click and button explaining which layers go where. I've found old tutorials from years ago but not sure if the same method works with different body shapes or not. Aka: Freya, Maitreya, Legacy. 

In every template document you will find  a UV map of the mesh in question, this is used as guideline as to what goes where, it`s usually self explanatory in visual sense and layers are named appropriately. Templates can have multiple UVs, one for each face...It might help to rez your mesh in SL, open edit, check *select face and see how many faces you have and what they are, also there is local texture option that allows you to test your textures without paying for upload, you can even apply UV map on corresponding face to understand placement better...

UVs are same for all meshes no matter what size (for the same template ofc), rigging is brand specific, but texture is "one fits all"..

Hope ths helps

On 10/12/2020 at 10:25 PM, LadyGore4 said:

I wish I could find something that takes you step by step with every click and button explaining which layers go where.

The UV template goes above and/or below all your working layers, at whatever level of transparency works best for you to guide you as you paint your texture. You don't include it in your final export.

The AO map and any other shadow map go above all your work at 100% opacity and using the Multiply image blending method. (I can't tell you where that is on your software, but I know Photoshop, GIMP, and Paint.NET all support it.) If you have something like a highlights map or layer, that goes above your work too, probably with the Screen blend mode (though you should also experiment with Lighten and Dodge).

Edited by Quarrel Kukulcan

On 10/14/2020 at 3:53 PM, Quarrel Kukulcan said:

The UV template goes above and/or below all your working layers, at whatever level of transparency works best for you to guide you as you paint your texture. You don't include it in your final export.

The AO map and any other shadow map go above all your work at 100% opacity and using the Multiply image blending method. (I can't tell you where that is on your software, but I know Photoshop, GIMP, and Paint.NET all support it.) If you have something like a highlights map or layer, that goes above your work too, probably with the Screen blend mode (though you should also experiment with Lighten and Dodge).

Thank you so much! I'm at a point now where I would literally pay someone some Lindens to give me step by step lessons too. 

On 10/1/2020 at 10:26 AM, Alexis Kiyori said:

Like Rowan mentioned, you can buy items off the marketplace with full permissions. You can search "full perm" or search for a specific item (like "hoodie") and on the lower left side be sure to check the boxes for copy, mod, and transfer. Then all results will be full perm, and there's tons of freebies and $1 items! 😃

This video actually goes through that whole process, where she buys full perm smartphones on the MP and then makes custom textures/designs for them! ^^

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1322 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.