can't send offline IMs (blank IM)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1368 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So many potential points of failure.

I guess first: What email service are you using? Like gmail, or an ISP's service, or...?

Then, what email interface are you using? Is it a basic web interface to the service, or a dedicated app supplied by the service, or some desktop email application such as Thunderbird, or...? Does the service offer a basic web interface and could you use that if you're not already, at least for testing?

Failing that, if you're not already using a gmail account, would you be willing to try that, temporarily, to make sure that works? That might entail creating a gmail account if you don't have one already, and switching to that account address for SL outbound email here.

If you don't already have an alt account, it might be handy to create one for testing this problem without bugging friends. (Or I could script up a little email-exerciser, but I'm feeling very lazy at the moment.)

• Like 1

Hope this is all solved already, but just in case it's useful, here's a quick and dirty script for testing round-trip email. Drop it in a prim, add your receiving email address, and click the prim to send a message to which you can reply in your mailer.

string ADDR = "SOMEBODY@MAILSERVICE.com"; // YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS GOES HERE

{
    state_entry()
    {
        llSetTimerEvent(15.0);
    }
    touch_start(integer total_number)
    {
        llEmail(ADDR, "Test Email from SL sent "+llGetTimestamp()
            , "Reply to this to test in-world receipt of email."
            + "\n(Be in-world, monitoring the test object chat to see reply)");
    }
    timer()
    {
        llGetNextEmail("","");
    }
    email(string time, string address, string subject, string body, integer num_remaining)
    {
        if (0 < num_remaining)
            llGetNextEmail("","");
        llOwnerSay("Got email from "+address+" at "+time+"\nSubject: "+subject+"\n"+body);
    }
}

On 9/26/2020 at 6:00 AM, WingsOfDesire said:

Hi everyone, 

My friends receive blank IMs when I send them through my email in offline. If anyone knows how to fix this, please help me :(

Thinking this might be a new blip in the current round of chat problems, I just did a very quick and simple test with an IM to an offline alt, and it did not work. I use gmail.  The only limit I'm aware of is you need to respond within 5 days of receiving the IM offline. SL Wiki - Limits > Communication

Edited my post to say it did not work. I goofed and was blinded by all the gibberish and didn't notice that the message part was indeed missing. 

Edited by Willow Wilder
because I goofed
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 6:00 AM, WingsOfDesire said:

Hi everyone, 

My friends receive blank IMs when I send them through my email in offline. If anyone knows how to fix this, please help me :(

I created a bug report concerning this here https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-229432 

Maestro looked into it and thinks it's a parsing issue. I kinda realized this myself when it seemed I was getting different results. The reply seems to be at the beginning of the message, instead of at the end after where it says "wrote:" where you might expect it. 

If you have any further or additional information, I suggest you add it to that bug report. 🙂 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1368 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.