Any tips on lip sync?

Artorius Constantine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 324 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I can't get voice to work unless another avatar is near?

Doesn't seem right but I've never used voice before so may just need to learn the tricks.

I set up a couple gestures but that's not right. I don't have enough fingers to do everything at once and still roll camera.

And that just makes random lip movements, I want to puppeteer the mouth.

Am I missing some insight as to making an avatars mouth move? I even tried a couple scripted gadgets but they weren't right.

This is my first attempt at lip sync. Not thrilled.

Edited by Artorius Constantine

Darn, not the reply I wanted. Thanks for it though.

I went digging through the lsl and found a couple things I may be able to work with.

I can't read audio levels with ll but I can set up a sequence and send expressions. Not the best option but it is an option.

Just gotta dig through the mesh heads until I find one I like that I can work with and set up a mouth puppeteer.

You'd think lip synch would be enabled in a virtual world. Maybe I should start a jira for accurate lip synch or at least a script function to read in world audio levels.

• 2 years later...

I know I'm a bit late to the party on this, but I'm hip deep in a video project that requires fairly accurate lip sync.  And seeing how long it's been since this topic was addressed, I'm guessing that a decent solution has not been suggested.

The ONLY time I've ever seen accurate lip sync in Second Life is from videos by the creator of the Black Dragon viewer: 

From what I can tell, his lip sync is nearly dead on.  I'm not sure if it's the Black Dragon viewer itself, the settings in the viewer, the computer he's using, internet connection or just a really powerful graphics card.  I've tried reaching out to him, but he has yet to respond.  

Now, if you have After Effects, one thing you might try doing is using Auto Lip Sync from mamoworld.com.  It's a bit on the...goofy side, but it works.   But then again, lip sync for "Robot Chicken" is pretty cheesy, but doesn't take away from the show.

On 6/21/2023 at 12:48 AM, Randome Bingyi said:

From what I can tell, his lip sync is nearly dead on.  I'm not sure if it's the Black Dragon viewer itself, the settings in the viewer, the computer he's using, internet connection or just a really powerful graphics card.  I've tried reaching out to him, but he has yet to respond.  

Did you? I must have missed that, i'm sorry.

The comments on my videos give insight into how this is made. The short answer is it's not Second Life, if the realistic Motion Capture isn't a dead giveaway. In Second Life its simply not possible. Second Life only has a very tiny amount of blendshapes for A,E,I,O,U to which the Viewer reacts. I'm using VRChat for those Videos as it A: allows me to use VR equipment (hence the realistic motion capture) and unlike SL uses the industry standard oculus voice blendshapes (15 to be exact) for the most used noises that are being detected while talking. VRChat blends between these 15 blendshapes depending on the sound you make, which totals to the lip sync you see. I don't do these videos in Second Life because avatars in Second Life simply look dead and static and move completely unnatural even when using motion capture animations.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 324 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.