Loading world...

JulsToffy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi everyone! I've started having an odd issue since yesterday for whatever reason, where I open Firestorm, start logging in and it takes f o r e v e r. Mostly it gets stuck on Loading World... but sometimes it *does* log in but I have like ?? instead of my balance and I basically fly down the air (I log into my sky sandbox). It stops if I clear cache and log in - no issue then. But this is very annoying. Anyone else might be experiencing that?

14 answers to this question

Guys!!! Thank you all, I figured out the problem, LOL.

Apparently an app I'm using in the background has gotten corrupt or something and has been causing insane graphic card issues for the past few days (I tried playing some games I have installed and they struggled a lot with fps and general execution). I tried to disable it and my laptop flies again and Firestorm loads super fast and without an issue once more. I feel so dumb, haha, and I'm so sorry to have bothered you all. Wow. I'm so glad it works again, lol.

If anyone comes across this thread with the same issue - DISABLE WALLPAPER ENGINGE APP.

*facepalm*

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@Whirly Fizzle willhave a more definitive answer than I do.  While we wait, though, the Firestorm wiki advises:

Viewer freezes while "Loading world..."

If you have Intel HD 620 or Intel HD 630, and Windows 10 – This is an Intel driver issue.
The easiest fix is to use Firestorm Version 6.2.4. or newer.
If you are using Firestorm Version 6.0.2, use another viewer to remove the jacket layer.
(Ref. BUG-225655 and BUG-227078)

If clearing cache lets you login that session, the problem is most likely to be a large flat inventory structure causing the "Creating in inventory views" part of the login process to take so long the login times out.
If this is a flat inventory issue with a certain account, you'll also be able to log your alts in without any problems even with a fully cached inventory.

Best thing to do is to contact LL support & ask them to check if your inventory needs de-flattened. LL support can run a script on your inventory to "de-flatten" it, which will fix the problem.
If you are a premium member, use Live Chat & they will most likely fix you right away if it just needs the de-flatten script run.
If you are a basic member, file a support ticket: https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000131009-contact-support

A "flat" inventory is one which has a large number of items in the inventory root folder &/or one or more inventory folders contain a large number of items - where an item is a loose inventory asset or a folder.
The more nested your inventory is the better - you can never have too many sub-folders within  sub-folders.
The de-flatten script LL support run will automatically create sub-folders within any folder that is too flat - ie contains too many items.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

If clearing cache lets you login that session, the problem is most likely to be a large flat inventory structure causing the "Creating in inventory views" part of the login process to take so long the login times out.
If this is a flat inventory issue with a certain account, you'll also be able to log your alts in without any problems even with a fully cached inventory.

Best thing to do is to contact LL support & ask them to check if your inventory needs de-flattened. LL support can run a script on your inventory to "de-flatten" it, which will fix the problem.
If you are a premium member, use Live Chat & they will most likely fix you right away if it just needs the de-flatten script run.
If you are a basic member, file a support ticket: https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000131009-contact-support

A "flat" inventory is one which has a large number of items in the inventory root folder &/or one or more inventory folders contain a large number of items - where an item is a loose inventory asset or a folder.
The more nested your inventory is the better - you can never have too many sub-folders within  sub-folders.
The de-flatten script LL support run will automatically create sub-folders within any folder that is too flat - ie contains too many items.

Thanks, Whirly Fizzle :) That could easily be an issue, even though I'm insanely into organizing and have a lot of subfolders haha. I've submitted a ticket via your link, so hopefully I can get some help with my issue! That's what you get for being a shopaholic haha. Thanks!

(I've also just cleared my cache again and voila - I'm in, no trouble).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JulsToffy said:

Thanks, Whirly Fizzle :) That could easily be an issue, even though I'm insanely into organizing and have a lot of subfolders haha. I've submitted a ticket via your link, so hopefully I can get some help with my issue! That's what you get for being a shopaholic haha. Thanks!

(I've also just cleared my cache again and voila - I'm in, no trouble).

Do you happen to be using the Vintage skin in Firestorm?
This skin actually causes a slower login time then the other skins, especially when you have a large flat inventory - I think it's because of the different layout of the inventory window.
If you are using Vintage skin, switch to the Latency skin which looks 99% the same but doesn't have the same problem.
If you are fine after switching to a different skin then Vintage, you'll still need your inventory deflattened though because you'll be very close to having the same problem with other Firestorm skins or with other viewers too.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Do you happen to be using the Vintage skin in Firestorm?
This skin actually causes a slower login time then the other skins, especially when you have a large flat inventory - I think it's because of the different layout of the inventory window.
If you are using Vintage skin, switch to the Latency skin which looks 99% the same but doesn't have the same problem.
If you are fine after switching to a different skin then Vintage, you'll still need your inventory deflattened though because you'll be very close to having the same problem with other Firestorm skins or with other viewers too.

Ooh that's good to know! I've never actually switched my skins, so I'm good on that one!

Okay I'm genuinely losing my mind. I've tried everything possible. I've contacted LL support, they said my inventory is fine. I've still made more subfolders and sorted and cleaned my inventory. I've cleared cache. I've cleared select cache files. I tried logging in with Firestorm and official viewer. I've made sure my internet connection is fine. I log into quiet places. Same story over and over, if I don't clear cache, I won't get past the Loading World loading bar. What do I do? 😧 This is so odd...

19 minutes ago, JulsToffy said:

Okay I'm genuinely losing my mind. I've tried everything possible. I've contacted LL support, they said my inventory is fine. I've still made more subfolders and sorted and cleaned my inventory. I've cleared cache. I've cleared select cache files. I tried logging in with Firestorm and official viewer. I've made sure my internet connection is fine. I log into quiet places. Same story over and over, if I don't clear cache, I won't get past the Loading World loading bar. What do I do? 😧 This is so odd...

Make sure your Viewer and Firestorm folders including all subfolders are excluded from your security software, anti-virus, system optimizer, etc.. Also make sure the other exclusions are there for the main program files. Also double check your firewall on your computer, and if you have it enabled on your router too, that could be an issue if the hardware firewall is conflicting with the software firewall. That is a long shot, but possible.

Another thing to try is check your hard drive for errors, bad sectors, and defrag it, and see if anything is good. If you've got files sitting on bad spots or your HD is really badly fragmented, you could experience this kind of issue.

You said that you are having the same issue with the Second Life Viewer that you are having with the Firestorm viewer, so this suggestion is mostly concerned with your operating system potentially having previous installation data locked in and corrupted: Uninstall Firestorm, and when you reinstall it, don't use the default folder name to install into. Select a new name, new location, and see if that helps. You will of course need to change the file paths in your various security and firewall whitelists too.

It is also possible that your modem/router performance is degrading. You might actually need to get new one. I know that you said that your Internet Connection is fine, but a malfunctioning or under-performing modem/router can cause all sorts of strange issues while looking like it is performing as expected. 

If you are using Wi-Fi to connect to SL, errr, don't. 

Wishing you the best of luck figuring this out! :)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JulsToffy said:

Just to clarify, you have the same problem with the LL viewer too?
Also to clarify, LL support didn't de-flatten your inventory?

Can you reproduce a failed login on Firestorm with a dirty cache.
Then before relaunching the viewer, zip up the viewer logs folder & either upload the logs.zip to dropbox & give the link (you can PM it to me on the forum if you prefer) or you can email me the logs.zip at whirly.fizzle at phoenixviewer.com.
This wiki page tells you where to find the logs folder: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/file_a_jira#how_to_give_us_your_logs

I'll look at the timings for each login stage to see where the problem is.

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Just to clarify, you have the same problem with the LL viewer too?
Also to clarify, LL support didn't de-flatten your inventory?

Yes, they didn't, and yes, I tried the official viewer with the same unfortunate result :(

I just tried to log in Firestorm again (I also did a clean install yesterday, so it was pure, i deleted ALL firestorm data from appdata just in case), first log in - successful because no cache. Tried logging in now - fail again, stuck on Loading World. I've sent the zip with logs your way! Thank you so much for helping me!! This is driving me insane.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Hopefully Whirly Fizzle will be able to help you figure this out, but I do have a suggestion to try. Make a new SL account and try logging that in and out multiple times. Keep the basic avatar, don't add any huds or AOs or anything. Just TP around a little, logout, log back in, and see if you have the same login issues. Try it with the SL viewer. Also,  don't login to your normal home position, login to a quiet region like Hatton or somewhere else.

If the same thing happens with the new account, then you know it is most likely a hardware or software issue with your computer, or your ISP, and not an account issue with Second Life.

If it doesn't happen with the new account, then it is very likely that it is an account/inventory issue, or something you are wearing - either your Avatar, hud, AO, or something in your inventory causing the problem. Whirly can help you discover what that might be, potentially. 

*fingers crossed* :)

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, JulsToffy said:

Guys!!! Thank you all, I figured out the problem, LOL.

Apparently an app I'm using in the background has gotten corrupt or something and has been causing insane graphic card issues for the past few days (I tried playing some games I have installed and they struggled a lot with fps and general execution). I tried to disable it and my laptop flies again and Firestorm loads super fast and without an issue once more. I feel so dumb, haha, and I'm so sorry to have bothered you all. Wow. I'm so glad it works again, lol.

If anyone comes across this thread with the same issue - DISABLE WALLPAPER ENGINGE APP.

*facepalm*

Brilliant!  Glad you found the problem!

I was just writing you an essay when I saw this post haha.
I had a look at the logs you sent me.

Here is a comparison of the session with a clean cache & the session with a dirty cache.
Screenshot_2.thumb.png.506153608c9922723fe21a7f17dc7289.png

Brief notes - seeing as you already solved the problem.

• The time from launching the viewer till the login screen appears is disgustingly long for both sessions. The slow launch time wouldn't affect the login timing out though.This indicates something on your system slowing this down dramatically. Now we know what this is  ;)
  • From the clean cache session where you managed to login, your FPS was horribly low for the power of your system. Most of the session you were below 5 FPS, average of 2FPS. The viewer was really struggling when it shouldn't have been.
  • The time taken from the viewer sending the login request to receiving the reply is also really slow for both sessions - not really sure why this is - maybe some congestion at LL's end or your own network was under strain. There are other signs in your session that logged in that your network is struggling though. Possibly that app causes network issues too.
  • The time taken to create inventory views from cache should be instant with a clean cache - it still took 10 secs on the clean cache session and a disgusting 61 secs with a dirty cache. Normally a super slow time here indicates a large flat inventory structure but in your case I suspect that app is holding things up.
  • Your total login time, even with a clean cache is 56 secs & this is still rather slow.

I don't know what this Wallpaper Engine app is doing but it needs to be burned in the fires of hell.

If you want to send me updated logs from a login with a dirty cache now the problem is fixed, I can double check everything looks fine now.

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.