My mesh is huge when upload!

KmilaSA

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1389 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I am writing with the hope that someone can help me. First of all I am using 3ds max 2016 and the object is unrigged. I understand that the metric used in Second life is Metric, meters or centimeters and export in .dae format. First I use the measurement in meters, export it in .dae, I uploaded and it was huge even though I reduced the size of the object in 3ds max, but each and every time I upload it was huge. I hope someone could help me with this, everything is fine except that. Thanks in advance!

https://prnt.sc/tynfmc

Edited by KmilaSA

2 hours ago, KmilaSA said:

Hello, I am writing with the hope that someone can help me. First of all I am using 3ds max 2016 and the object is unrigged. I understand that the metric used in Second life is Metric, meters or centimeters and export in .dae format. First I use the measurement in meters, export it in .dae, I uploaded and it was huge even though I reduced the size of the object in 3ds max, but each and every time I upload it was huge. I hope someone could help me with this, everything is fine except that. Thanks in advance!

Well I know nothing about how 3ds max works but you can change the size during UPLOAD in this pane.  That will hopefully get you a smaller cigarette.

image.thumb.png.800ee298f5cc57488dfac5a82e0238db.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KmilaSA said:

What i know you may try is to set both grid and system linear units to meters. A quick Google search can help you with that, as I can't because I use Maya. After that, make sure to perform a first export to FBX making sure to go through all the export settings and have the linear measurement conversions disabled, so it exports 1:1. Collada is part of the fbx module in autodesk softwares, so these settings will also apply to dae files. You just need to do a first export for Max to store that configuration and use it from then on. 

Hopefully this can help 😊

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, KmilaSA said:

I hope someone could help me with this, everything is fine except that.

I hope you found an answer you could use in Chic's or Optimo's replies but if not, you can simply reesize it after you have uploaded.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Well I know nothing about how 3ds max works but you can change the size during UPLOAD in this pane.  That will hopefully get you a smaller cigarette.

image.thumb.png.800ee298f5cc57488dfac5a82e0238db.png

Thank you so much, ill try this and post the results later.

4 hours ago, OptimoMaximo said:

What i know you may try is to set both grid and system linear units to meters. A quick Google search can help you with that, as I can't because I use Maya. After that, make sure to perform a first export to FBX making sure to go through all the export settings and have the linear measurement conversions disabled, so it exports 1:1. Collada is part of the fbx module in autodesk softwares, so these settings will also apply to dae files. You just need to do a first export for Max to store that configuration and use it from then on. 

Hopefully this can help 😊

This option is super amazing too cause that's what I need. Ill try it and post the results too. Thanks!

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

I hope you found an answer you could use in Chic's or Optimo's replies but if not, you can simply reesize it after you have uploaded.

I try that but i could not make it the small I need, but thanks a lot. ♥

35 minutes ago, KmilaSA said:

Oh yes, a mesh can't be smaller than 1 cm in SL. It's a completely different problem and none of the solutions here will solve that. What you need to do is extend the bounding box of the mesh either with a loose vertice or an extra invisible triangle.

Very quick explanation, add a triangle like the red one here:

bilde.png.3a6a9ead8bf38ac658964c367898de80.png

Exact size and position doesn't matter as long as it is big enough the overall size of the mesh is at least 1x1x1 cm. Then give it a separate face and make it 100% transparent after you've uploaded the mesh.

There are two other and better solutions but they are a bit more complicated and they're not that much better so I suggest you go for this easy one.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, KmilaSA said:

Ahh. Well you can downsize it manually inworld of course BUT the smallest any object can be inworld is .01 in ANY direction.  If your cigarette is smaller than that you need to attach some invisible cubes along the outside like a cage and make them a separate material so that you can make them transparent once in world.  Be sure and JOIN it all together (may be called something different in your software) so that you only have ONE mesh object. then you can make it appear smaller. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1389 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.