Blender 2.8 help

Giovanii Fellini

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Greetings!

I've been trying to learn Blender over the last few months and I'll admit I'm still noob ;) -(BTW, thanks for the tutorials Chic) I'm getting a little hung up on baking textures on different surfaces like floors, walls...inner, outer, etc.

It looks great in render view, but when I bake, I must be missing some ingredients, because it looks really whacked.

Also when selecting the entire floor, in order to scale down my textures, my UV map becomes much larger than the box that it's supposed to fit into and of course looks weird.

https://gyazo.com/394a3e52ae8441037ca53e336c543afb

Should I be separating parts of the build into more manageable, bite sized pieces? Does it matter if the walls are cubes vs planes?

I know, lot's of questions. 

Any guidance is much appreciated.

I haven't even thought about physics yet... Well, OK, I've thought about it but I'll leave that until I get this part figured out :)

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Giovanii Fellini said:

Also when selecting the entire floor, in order to scale down my textures, my UV map becomes much larger than the box that it's supposed to fit into and of course looks weird.

Here are some examples that may help (Blender 2.79).

My current project. This is baked on a 2048 texture plane.  

image.thumb.png.17160fa7a308000281143a9ad31025d2.png

I think what you are asking is how to get your textures to TILE on this big area? 

If so (in Cycles) here is how it can be done. Have no idea really how you are working but this may help.

image.thumb.png.387bcf0c8a96c51f697945e24be098fc.png

The FLOOR would take up the whole texture plane (another texture plane obviously).

image.thumb.png.ea6a5e99e54d60d8fe516bf9ac6f8f8e.png

Now textures this big are never going to look the same as your rendered view when they get into SL. If you want THAT you would need to break the textures into more large planes and most likely DESIGN for that so you wouldn't have seams.  

So INWORLD, here is how my floor looks (note no material maps are used ). If you use normal and specular maps be SURE and test with the Linden viewer with EEP.   

image.thumb.png.73511eafe5b5913825c2797a5987da67.png

So you have to decide if you are willing to live with some "blur" OR if you want to use a whole 2048 textures (uploads to 1024) for the porch :D.  That is a personal "designer" choice.   But you can TILE the textures as you like === easily. 

I am pretty darn sure that was in a fairly early tutorial LOL.   But maybe not so important on a "picture frame" or whatever *wink*.

It shouldn't matter whether there are planes or cubes for your walls but there is no reason to upload any quads that will not be seen. So you can delete all "inside of wall" types faces.  In this case I also dissolved the walls before uploading BUT it is really important not to do that until the end as it pretty much finalizes things and makes changes much more difficult. 

Hope that helps some.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

It shouldn't matter whether there are planes or cubes for your walls but there is no reason to upload any quads that will not be seen. So you can delete all "inside of wall" types faces.  In this case I also dissolved the walls before uploading BUT it is really important not to do that until the end as it pretty much finalizes things and makes changes much more difficult. 

Hope that helps some.  

I hope you guys don't mind if I ask a question about something indirectly related. Chic, do you use Archipack within Blender for your walls or just plain cubes and/or planes? What do you think of that add-on? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Gordon Nadezda said:

I hope you guys don't mind if I ask a question about something indirectly related. Chic, do you use Archipack within Blender for your walls or just plain cubes and/or planes? What do you think of that add-on? 

I looked at it long ago but I just build from cubes. Learned that way and stuck with it. It seemed (only from other's reports) that it had as much downside to it as upside.  So I basically build houses like I would build furniture -- except of course for the physics :D.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.