Region crossing failures seem to be more consistent

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1392 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Region crossings with vehicles still fail about twice an hour when traveling with vehicles scripted to deal with some of the problems. What I've been noticing in the last two months is that almost all failures now have the same form:

1. Vehicle crosses OK.
  2. Avatar on vehicle doesn't cross and is stuck.
  3. After 5 to 20 seconds, usually the avatar catches up and movement continues.
  4. If the avatar doesn't catch up, after about 1 minute, the simulators give up and detach vehicle and avatar, usually returning the avatar to  a semi-normal state.
  5. The detached avatar doesn't properly get controls back, and there's a 10 second delay each time it crosses a region by walking.

This pattern is very obvious with some other fixes in place. My own motorcycles are scripted to stop after a region crossing (they turn off physics briefly) and wait for the avatar to catch up. That takes about 40ms when things are going well, and many seconds when things go bad. All this is logged to a server. Also, with the movement fix in Firestorm turned on (Preferences-Move and View->Movement->Stop when error becomes too large), bogus movement due to a viewer side problem is clamped. With the other "movement goes crazy at region crossing" problems under control, this big one shows up in a consistent way.

I didn't see this much consistency a year ago. I know LL has fixed some bugs in this area, involving attachments coming off during region crossings. What's left is starting to look like a well-defined, fixable bug. I brought this up at Server User Group again, and some of the Lindens are taking another look. See relevant JIRA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@animats:  Yes...I like the description "semi-normal" state.  If by that you mean with AO inoperative and half the few attachments I use when sailing gone, fine.  Sailing around Blake is a lottery of region-crossing issues, but if one dares to enter a region with any significant load such as an airport...all hell breaks loose and if the boat has reached the far boundary before "normality" is resumed all bets are off as to what SL decides to do.  I've been stuck at region edges like in the old "ghosting" days where the region simply will not let go of the avatar. I have seemingly floated off into space.....and most times I can log off and eventually relog. One notable occasion even when logging in at home I received a message saying that the account was already online...at another location, and only a forced logout by LL rectified the issue!  By the way why is it that if a curious observer clicks on one's craft it immediately vanishes?

Sailing can be fun but lately it's akin to torture at every region crossing!

Edited by Aishagain
grammar correction

Well, seem to be the same on the Bellisseria waters..

Can't pass more than 10 sim before crashing and logout (no connection issue on my side). And with a sailboat who take less than 40 prim..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1392 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.