Understanding buying land

LulaBells

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all,

So I have been considering buying land and using my allotment of not owning a Linden Home.  My question is that I calculate the land tier charge and it is $35/month.  Not so bad, but my questions is, is that in addition to what the property says the weekly linden cost is?  I'm trying to completely understand this before I get all crazy!  Such great advice in here about buying land, truly do appreciate the people who take time to say what to look for.  Had a couple of rude awakenings on a couple of the properties I was looking at, lol!!

Appreciate advice - Thank you!

7 minutes ago, LulaBells said:

Hello all,

So I have been considering buying land and using my allotment of not owning a Linden Home.  My question is that I calculate the land tier charge and it is $35/month.  Not so bad, but my questions is, is that in addition to what the property says the weekly linden cost is?  I'm trying to completely understand this before I get all crazy!  Such great advice in here about buying land, truly do appreciate the people who take time to say what to look for.  Had a couple of rude awakenings on a couple of the properties I was looking at, lol!!

Appreciate advice - Thank you!

If the property mentions a weekly cost, then you are not actually buying Mainland from LL, but rather renting (probably private region) from someone else.  Therefore, the $35/month tier definitely does not apply -- and your 1024 sqm of tier allowance doesn't apply either.

Edit:  You can buy Mainland from LL (click land and Buy), or you can rent Mainland from someone (typically just pay a rental box), or you can buy/rent private region land (they call it buying, but you really are renting and paying a weekly or monthly rental rate).  LL's tier charges (and the 1024 Premium tier allowance) only applies to Mainland.

One other note -- Look up Caledon Oxbridge University inworld and check their calendar of classes.  Lindal Kidd teaches an awesome class on Saturdays that is all the things you need to know about Land in SL.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

I would second the suggestion about the Land Buying class at Caledon Oxbridge University .  It's a free class, and I found it very worthwhile when I took it - it answered a lot of questions about buying land that I had when I was first starting out.  

If you currently do not have a linden home, and have not donated tier to any group, then buying a 1024 sqm mainland parcel should not cost you any additional monthly tier (there will be a one-time purchase cost for the parcel, however).   So either you were looking at land on a private estate, or you were looking at a much larger mainland parcel than a 1024 sqm. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.