Places/Resources/etc for someone interested in learning how to make stuff

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi. I'm somewhat fairly new to SL and I'm interested in learning how to create stuff, mainly things like clothes and shapes. Now the only problem here is that I don't have any experience with this whatsoever. I find myself (or at least, I use to be a creative person who has a lot of ideas, and I still think I do, but it's been hard putting those things together and making something come into fruition, specifically when it comes to RL and having a hobby, find my passion, etc). 

Are there any places or resources for someone interested in learning to create clothes, shapes, and that kind of stuff? Any suggestions would be very helpful

There's Builders Brewery.

Making clothes and shapes is the high end of difficulty in Second Life creation. Buildings are easy, vehicles are harder than buildings, clothes are harder than vehicles, shapes are harder than clothes. Although there are generic clothes you can just re-texture. Making custom T-shirts, for example, is easy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, animats said:

Making clothes and shapes is the high end of difficulty in Second Life creation. Buildings are easy, vehicles are harder than buildings, clothes are harder than vehicles, shapes are harder than clothes. Although there are generic clothes you can just re-texture. Making custom T-shirts, for example, is easy.

Well I was with you on your list except for the shapes part. I think shapes are the EASIEST of everything in your list.  I made shapes coming out of the pod and have had a few shape shops over the years that did well. Even with mesh heads -- not so hard. Although I have to admit the some mesh head creators do a much better job than other with how well the sliders preform "as expected".   :D  Buildings are fairly easy if they are prim buildings. Mesh building with correct physics and good LODs? Not so easy.  

Maybe you just have a "shapes block" LOL. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, animats said:

Okay, I'll check that place out then. Why do you say shapes are harder to make than clothes than clothes? Just curious

5 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I made shapes coming out of the pod and have had a few shape shops over the years that did well. Even with mesh heads -- not so hard.

Wow. How was the process of making shapes and heads? Did it involve any drawing or the use of blender?

5 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Maybe you just have a "shapes block" LOL. 

LOL shapes block! 😄 Good one

Very simple. You make a NEW default shape (see screenshot) by hitting the tiny plus key at the bottom of the inventory. 

Then you WEAR that shape and Edit the shape using the appearance adjusters. Then save the shape and give it a new name.

604226267_makingashape.png.894220c0286264025070c23219bda1eb.png

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 9:41 AM, Chic Aeon said:

Very simple. You make a NEW default shape (see screenshot) by hitting the tiny plus key at the bottom of the inventory. 

Then you WEAR that shape and Edit the shape using the appearance adjusters. Then save the shape and give it a new name.

604226267_makingashape.png.894220c0286264025070c23219bda1eb.png

Thanks, @Chic Aeon. Now is this just for creating a new shape from scratch or is it for editing a shape you already have?

1 hour ago, KareenCruxion said:

Thanks, @Chic Aeon. Now is this just for creating a new shape from scratch or is it for editing a shape you already have?

If you edit a shape you already have (NOT MADE BY YOU) it will have the makers name as creator and not yours. So if you are making shapes that you want to sell  you need to make a new shape first. If you are just tweaking a shape for yourself you just use the appearance sliders and then save under a new name (it adds "new" each time you save as a default and you can change later if you want).   

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.