Download Cost in the Hundreds?!

Fanta UwU

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1437 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am quite stumped on how to lower the download cost of this dress. 😕 

Its up in the hundred, as in 174L and if I join them together, it skyrockets to 300-something!

It isn't even that complex, only 8K tris and 4k verts! I've had way more verts and tris with a muuuch cheaper cost (as in 10-something or 20-something).

I thought of where one said automerge verts when editing, that didn't really help (which, I really wish I knew looong time ago when editing!).

I also don't touch the physics tab too, which can mess with the cost. Just the first and third tab (skin weights).

Dress (joined together to show all the 'complexity') - https://gyazo.com/bcccc52a84f6ee08662bec0d1f25f156

Upload Screen (to show the costs)  - https://gyazo.com/8d3eba260d4220185f578380148fe745

I can't really afford to spend hundreds of L uploading clothing, so I really appreciate the help on why exactly my simple (as in not high in verts and tris) clothing is having a huge download cost! It was the same way with a bodysuit (simple and less than MD's count which has had lower download costs than this) where it was 80L. So I'm not sure whats going on.

Okay so, update... The skirt was a major problem... But I subdivided it and it lowered the cost drastically to 66-77L. That is.. quite confusing. More complex things actually LOWER the download cost despite it turning it into more verts and tris/quads! Can someone explain what is going on with that?

If you look at the screenshot of the upload window, you will notice, that the triangle numbers set for the LoD models don't match the actual tirangles in said LoDs. It's common for the LoD Generator to fail to decimate the mesh adequately when the mesh is "double sided". Leaving a tiny gap between the in and outside usually prevents this behavior.

53 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Easiest way to crank up the download weight is to keep all LODs the same, especially the lower ones.

Or to put it another way, make sure the lowest LOD is not showing 100s of tris and you'll be a lot wealthier.

As @arton Rotaru notes, this typically happens because the LOD software fails to reduce the complexity while retaining a valid asset, you  end up with a lowest (and low) LOD model that are extremely expensive.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1437 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.