Communicating between two objects

dealakavl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1446 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all, been searching for something and not really sure how to begin. What I'm looking for is to set up 2 objects (computer screens) to display text back and forth to each other like single mirc. So a user of 1 computer would type a message and it'd go to the owner. The owner types a message on channel and it broadcasts to the user of the computer.

User 1 - Initiate self destruct procedure. Access Code 00032488

Owner - Access confirmed. Do you wish to continue or abort?

User 1 - Continue

Owner - Self Destruct sequence has been activated. 

It makes the object relay messages to the user, while the owner is remote. Computer to computer relay. I saw something about using text boxes, but not sure how I would have the owner's message display on the user's computer.

Ignore, I'd not spotted the requirement for remote communication.

Distance is a consideration here, if the two objects are going to be further apart then chat is not going to be heard, so I'd suggest you look at llRegionSay. Each object would listen on a certain channel that needs to be set up in each script. Object 1 gets some text in a text box which it then echoes on the communication channel using llRegionSay, and the other object hears this and shows it on the screen.

I bet Molly just beat me to it by less than 60 seconds

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
  • Like 1

Thanks for the quick response. It will be between myself and my object on the same sim.

Like I said, I was looking forward to have this look like computer to computer text like old school dos prompts. (Black Screen, green text). So when I type a reply it pops up on their screen as text, rather than a private message. I'm impersonating their computer as a NPC. (Like for some objects you type /3 "text" and the object's name says "Message" but trying to do so on a screen. Trying to have this connect between 2 computers displays that I and whoever is at the other computer can use to communicate commands. Sorry if this is confusing.

the simplest system is RegionSayTo

our script listens to us on a channel, using your example: /3 "text"

our script then forwards "text using RegionSayTo  to the other person's channel 0. Which shows only on their screen and no one else's

key them = "whatever their uuid key is";

listen(integer channel, string name, key id, string text)
{
   llRegionSayTo(them, 0, text);
}

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlRegionSayTo

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Listen

if we want to use other font types then we have to get into font character display objects which in this case we can wear as a HUD.  Can start here to see how this works:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/XyzzyText

Pay very close attention to the RegionSayTo's throttle limit for channel 0. If you trigger that you'll block all your script projects from working with it on the whole sim. So if you decide to keep using channel 0 you'll want to work out a failsafe delay of some kind.

Edited by NaomiLocket
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1446 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.