MESH RELEASE DATE COMFIRMED!

Hugo Reitveld

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4758 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok I understand by this thread that there is not yet a  release date , but how about specifications on the use of the meshes like costs, prim costs etc? are those fixed?

Sorry it's been a while I haven't checked the mesh forums , I would also like to know if materials are planned and if a decent alpha sorting algorythm for mesh objects based on a 2 bits alpha is on the schedule....

ALso aanother thing important to me is the prim stretching possibilities like over 10 m stretching , I hope this at least could be implemented sooner than mesh if they aren't ready for implementation yet ... lastly how about the double sided meshes? I mean if I have a plane of  solid mesh on one side and seetrought on the other , the game will allow to double the mesh without doubling the polygon count ?

"...like costs, prim costs etc?are those fixed?" 

No. Finalising these costs is one of the major tasks that remains to be done.

"... if materials are planned...".

Not for release. There may be a materials project afterwards.

"... lastly how about the double sided meshes?"

No. I think this is because opengl still has twice the work filling the triangles. People would use it where it wasn't needed because it's easier, and that would bne a big performance hit.

Ok since u answered me here , how bout instancing subobject in the mesh woudl this lighten the draw calls burden?

It is not implemented. I''m not sure whether than would save draw calls, but I would have expected it to save download data which is also important. This was discussed, but the developers worked out that this would not make worthwhile savings. The download data is compressed and meshes with repeated structures (especially normals) do compress better. That may be why the overhead of intra-model instancing is not considered worth any savings realised.

Plus can model meshes have open sides where no polygons show up?

Not sure what you mean. Models can be arbitrary meshes which can have openings. They don't even have to be continuous and can consist of onerlapping or non-overlapping separate parts. They can have up to eight submeshes that can be separately textured. These can be arbitrarily associated subsets of the mesh faces. So they don't have to be contiguous,  nor do they have to be unconnected.

The internal format is about to be changed to its final form, at which point we are promised it will be publicly documented.

Rushing? Should have been in form day one. There are other worlds that build this in and build a whole world in the same time we have seen LL make mesh. They already said what the problem was, and lets face it....well, people have been just really pushing sculpts to the max the past 2 years. They really have come along way in some respects. I just think the effort was not enough, it wastes to many verts for some builds. They ended up now offering .dae in some fashion and that will make the sim more likely to be accepted for investment by corporations.

To be honest with you, I am already happy enough we are allowed to test it all out and open beta is here! What I want to know is.....

:smileymad:WHEN IS THIS SERVER SIDE RENDERING COMING OUT!!! WHEN,WHEN WHEN!!! I WANT TO KNOW NOW!!!

Now THAT is the thing to nag about! Heck, we can throw up some links to articles at peoples blogs, "other 'marian' world refs" and all that and keep the nag working on these guys till they see we really want this option! Wait...I will maybe never use it....well, still! It is new technology for SL and we want to see it and press it's buttons and watch it do what ever it is that it does..right?!?! But that is just me I guess. Heck, I lagged my way around another virtual world and could barely move...but wow, it was neat anyway. I can't use it due to the lag and GPU being to wimpy...still, I read about it and see some images and so on! it is neat to see all this build. That is all. The nagging DOES help, it is faster than looking up and reading the meetings minutes!

how about alpha textures ?

In modern games u can put alpha channel and put alpha in the same texture for the mesh , so to texture with one texture solid and transparent parts , is this possible ? Or would turn the whole mesh into a transparent object having the usual SL issues with shaded degrees of trasparency ? and why not introducing the 1 bit alpha sorting?

As far as I know, alpha works the same way as for other prims. I do know you can achieve a pseudo-animation by using an animated texture with alpha sections to successivly reveal different parts of the mesh. There were experiments with "fast alpha", which I think interpreted certain alpha textures as one bit masks, but I have not followed the outcome.

About the Alpha , a Fast Alpha woul dmean  a loss in quality and is nto anyway what's proposed , what I mean is 1 bit alpha , black and white channel in the same texture so all that is painted in this channel could be deleted from rendering ... and it woudl not occour into the classical annoying Alphasorting problems of SL .....

Every other game can use bit map alpha and even the LL trees do use it , why there is still no checkbox for using Bitalpha in a texture?

• Lindens

one bit alpha (alpha masking, as opposed to alpha blending) is a feature we'd like to enable in the future, but not for the initial release of mesh. As it involves adding additional parameters to an object's definition, I'd anticipate it to more likely be related to a materials project than the mesh project.

This thread has drifted far from its original intent - closing for now. Please open separate threads for separate topics so its easier for everyone to find the information they're looking for. Thanks!

-Nyx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4758 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.