Updated Viewer Causing Issues with Network Adapter

Vampyrus Blackheart

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1468 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

To start with, I will point out that I am using a new (less than a year old) gaming laptop to access Second Life. For a while, I've been able to use the animesh release of Firestorm (6.0.2[56680]), which I had started using on my older laptop. However, lately I've noticed that anytime I try to use the updated Firestorm viewer or most recent Second Life viewer, my internet crashes. As in, system-wide, nothing involving online content works properly. To be clear, the router still works, and other people in my household are able to use internet just fine. For whatever reason, though, my network adapter seems to lose functionality after I try to log in, and usually requires a system reset to restore access to the network. 

As I said, the animesh release for Firestorm works just fine, and everything runs smoothly on medium graphics settings. Has anyone else had this issue, or know what the problem might be? 

Some additional details for reference:

The laptop itself is an MSI GF63 Thin 9SC gaming laptop, with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX1650 graphics card, and an Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz network adapter.

6 answers to this question

Thank you for responding.

The system is up to date, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for the network adapter. The network card, so far as I can tell from the few methods I know of testing it, seems to still be functional in and of itself. I tried after re-installing the driver to install the main viewer and log in, with much the same results as before. 

Edited by Vampyrus Blackheart

Thank you for responding, Lindal.

I just tried using Ethernet, and to be fair, I did manage to log on. However, as soon as I closed the program completely and tried to switch back to WiFi for normal internet usage (i.e. accessing google via Chrome), the adapter once again ceased to function properly. Ended up resetting the system after reinstalling the driver failed to work.

Edited by Vampyrus Blackheart

The Resident Geek (my techie RL partner) distrusts all forms of WiFi.  When we had the house apart for remodeling, he ran Ethernet cables all over the place so we could have the most reliable connections to the most devices.

I'd use Ethernet for everything you do with your computer, not just for SL.  If it's a situation where you simply must rely on WiFi, then make sure you have a good wireless router, and a good WiFi adapter in your computer, and a good strong signal between them.

(Lately the Geek has started going on about upgrading to a 10 Gigabyte network and running all new Cat 6 or fiber optic cables.  I told him, "when the Greeks reckon time by the Kalends, pal.  We've already been through remodeling five times now.")

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1468 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.