Creating rigged mesh for existing modified joint positions

Sara Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1540 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If I have an avatar whose joint positions have been modified by a rigged mesh attachment, what's the best way to create my own rigged mesh to go with that avatar, with those joint positions? I'm using Avastar, in case there's an easy way there. This is a mesh avatar I bought, and I don't have the source files for it. Is there a way to pull those modified joint positions from Second Life and import them into Blender/Avastar, similar to the XML export for appearance sliders? If not, how can I go about doing this without resorting to trial and error / wasting L$ on uploads that don't look as I want them to?

I'm aware I can ask the creator for the source files, but I'm looking for a general solution.

Edited by MyAlt4099

When Rigging an attachment that is supposed to be on an avatar with custom joints positions, the only possible way to make things match is to have the base model to rig on. Upon upload you won't need to tick the joint position checkbox as that is already delivered by the base avatar, but unfortunately the only way to know where joints are located is to have the actual skeleton at hand

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, OptimoMaximo said:

When Rigging an attachment that is supposed to be on an avatar with custom joints positions, the only possible way to make things match is to have the base model to rig on. Upon upload you won't need to tick the joint position checkbox as that is already delivered by the base avatar, but unfortunately the only way to know where joints are located is to have the actual skeleton at hand

And SL doesn't provide any way to export that data?

If trial and error is the only way, is there any way to do it without wasting L$ on test uploads? Is there some way to preview a DAE on your avatar before you pay to upload it?

1 minute ago, MyAlt4099 said:

And SL doesn't provide any way to export that data?

No. It can export the avatar shape as an XML, and that can be loaded in avastar, but joint positions aren't part of a shape, afaik. You can try though. 

3 minutes ago, MyAlt4099 said:

If trial and error is the only way, is there any way to do it without wasting L$ on test uploads? Is there some way to preview a DAE on your avatar before you pay to upload it?

Not a preview on the avatar, but you can login to the beta grid (aditi) where you're basically loaded with fake Lindens to test upload. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MyAlt4099 said:

That'll work I guess. Thanks. 🙂

It might take a couple of log-ins on the beta grid (with some time inbetween) to get it synced with your main grid inventory. I'm not sure what the current process is. For a while it was log in, then log back in after they do whatever they do to resync it at silly o'clock in the morning SLT. Was having problems with it and don't know if that was a temporary glitch or if they've changed it.

If you have problems, ask. Someone here will know.

Once you get it sorted, the beta grid is well worth the effort. Nice quiet place to work on a project and free uploads :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

It might take a couple of log-ins on the beta grid (with some time inbetween) to get it synced with your main grid inventory. I'm not sure what the current process is. For a while it was log in, then log back in after they do whatever they do to resync it at silly o'clock in the morning SLT. Was having problems with it and don't know if that was a temporary glitch or if they've changed it.

If you have problems, ask. Someone here will know.

Once you get it sorted, the beta grid is well worth the effort. Nice quiet place to work on a project and free uploads :)

Yeah, at first my password didn't work. The wiki said to contact support if that happens, so I did, and they got me sorted.

What do I do if I run out of L$ on the beta grid? Can I just contact support again and they'll give me more? Is it automatic?

4 hours ago, MyAlt4099 said:

Yeah, at first my password didn't work. The wiki said to contact support if that happens, so I did, and they got me sorted.

What do I do if I run out of L$ on the beta grid? Can I just contact support again and they'll give me more? Is it automatic?

You'll have to do a LOT of uploading to run out. I've gotten more without doing anything so there must be some automation to it, though I don't know the mechanics of it, just that it happens. Good luck with your projects :) 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1540 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.