Lag and crashing

Kennedy9313

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1520 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So I started playing this game again and Im having troubles with the game crashing I was using the defualt viewer, but now im going to try the camerathingy viewer. Oh the question lol, How do I stop the lag or crasing or can I ?

Edited by Kennedy9313

5 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, Kennedy9313 said:

So I started playing this game again and Im having troubles with the game crashing I was using the defualt viewer, but now im going to try the camerathingy viewer. Oh the question lol, How do I stop the lag or crasing or can I ?

For the most part, this is dependent on your computer, your viewer settings, and your ISP service.  If you are actually crashing after getting logged in, combined with lots of lag, it is likely that you are either experiencing high ping times and/or packet loss.

First off, next time you start the viewer, click the Help / About.  Copy all of the info shown and paste it here so we know your setup.  While inworld, press Ctrl + Shift + 1 and watch the values shown for Packet Loss and Ping Sim.  You need you pack loss to really be no higher than 0.1% and even that you don't want continuously.  I'm not sure how high Ping Sim can get before you start running into trouble, but I know that ideal is less than 150 or even 100.

1 hour ago, Pamela Galli said:

It’s because you call it a game. 🤭

@Kennedy9313  Pam is kidding (sort of), but she's right too.  A lot of people come to SL expecting it to sail along like the wind because they have played online games that really do fly like the wind.  SL will never do that because it's not designed like a game.  For one thing, it relies on sending information back and forth between Linden Lab servers and your computer 45 times a second, continuously.  That means there are plenty of opportunities for interference along the pathway, and for signal loss. Everything you see on your screen is being continually updated.  The biggest reason for lower performance, though, is that this is a user-created world. Almost all of us are amateurs.we don't make optimized stuff and we wear too much on our avatars, so that our complexity makes life hard for other people around us.  This is primarily a social world, so you can't expect it to run fast and smooth like a game.  The best you can do is follow a lot of the guidelines in those articles I linked to in my first response, to improve performance as much as you can.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1520 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.