Saved contents before a crash

Gianni Lupindo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1554 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It happened that I crashed and, after I logged in back, scripts or notecards opened and saved on the previous session into an attached object (HUD) didn't keep the new content. Is that normal? If so how could I avoid to lose the last saved content in case of a crash? Should I detach the object to save the new content in the inventory? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Gianni Lupindo
Other info and questions

I've tried but been unable to get any search results to give more detail on this. My own practice has been to work on scripts in an attachment and for trivial changes, copy the script and any amended notecards back into my inventory but leave the attachment still worn. For signifficant changes I'll detach it, then copy it in inventory, and attach the fresh copy and get to work on that. When you detach something it does not create a new version of the object in your inventory, simply updates it with what changes you have made, so for any form of change control you have to create new versions of the object yourself and do things like put version numbers in the object description so you can scan them in the inventory lists to look for differing versions.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku

10 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

I've tried but been unable to get any search results to give more detail on this. My own practice has been to work on scripts in an attachment and for trivial changes, copy the script and any amended notecards back into my inventory but leave the attachment still worn. For signifficant changes I'll detach it, then copy it in inventory, and attach the fresh copy and get to work on that. When you detach something it does not create a new version of the object in your inventory, simply updates it with what changes you have made, sop for any form of change control you have to create new versions of the object yourself and do things like put version numbers in the object description so you can scan them in the inventory lists to look for differing versions.

Sometimes I behave like that but more often I prefer to not add too many things in my inventory. But by now I'll detach occasionally the object and attach it back to restart my work. Thanks. 🙂

28 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Worn objects need to be detached to save changes in contents, it's somewhere in the wiki describing exactly what is preserved.

That doesn't sound right to me... I admit I haven't explicitly looked at this but I don't recall ever encountering a scenario where changes I made to a worn attachment's contents were lost if i didn't detach before logging out. Is it possible you're thinking of the prim description - which can lose changes made (by a script) as per the caveats listed on llSetObjectDescription:

When an attached object is detached, changes made by script to the name and description (of the root prim) of the attachment will be lost. While the object is attached the name and description can be changed but it will not be reflected in inventory. This caveat does not apply to child prims.

I'm still combing through the wiki, but so far that's the only instance I've come across regarding lost changes. I'll update if I find anything else, and will also try to do some inworld tests later this evening.

Edited by Fenix Eldritch

21 minutes ago, Fenix Eldritch said:

That doesn't sound right to me... I admit I haven't explicitly looked at this but I don't recall ever encountering a scenario where changes I made to a worn attachment's contents were lost if i didn't detach before logging out. Is it possible you're thinking of the prim description - which can lose changes made (by a script) as per the caveats listed on llSetObjectDescription

I'm still combing through the wiki, but so far that's the only instance I've come across regarding lost changes. I'll update if I find anything else, and will also try to do some inworld tests later this evening.

I didn't log out! Be careful: I crashed as I told so content in the attached object wasn't updated in the inventory. It's an acceptable answer. You cannot test it until you don't crash!

39 minutes ago, Fenix Eldritch said:

That doesn't sound right to me... I admit I haven't explicitly looked at this but I don't recall ever encountering a scenario where changes I made to a worn attachment's contents were lost if i didn't detach before logging out. Is it possible you're thinking of the prim description - which can lose changes made (by a script) as per the caveats listed on llSetObjectDescription:

It is definitely true that objects can do a "roll-back" if you've made changes to them (resizing, changing textures, tinting...) and crash unexpectedly. It has happened to myself and a couple creator friends often enough to do a "detach all" after we're done modding our avatars.

Happens with everything -- scripted or unscripted, mesh or prim, full-perms or no-modify.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

It is definitely true that objects can do a "roll-back" if you've made changes to them (resizing, changing textures, tinting...) and crash unexpectedly.

It wouldn't be exactly a "roll-back". Now it's clear to me: attachment's contents are locally saved and if you don't detach the attachment or log out the items are not actually updated in the inventory.

The way I initially read the OP, I thought you were saying that you had already saved changes to the notecard/script and then encountered a crash. And when you came back, you found those recently saved changes had been lost so to speak. Is that correct? Or did the crash happen while you were editing both of them and hadn't committed any changes yet?

If you had committed the changes in the previous session, how soon after did the crash occur?

And was this a viewer crash or a region crash? (I'm assuming viewer?)

1 hour ago, Fenix Eldritch said:

The way I initially read the OP, I thought you were saying that you had already saved changes to the notecard/script and then encountered a crash. And when you came back, you found those recently saved changes had been lost so to speak. Is that correct? Or did the crash happen while you were editing both of them and hadn't committed any changes yet?

If you had committed the changes in the previous session, how soon after did the crash occur?

And was this a viewer crash or a region crash? (I'm assuming viewer?)

I thought to have been pretty clear even though english is not my native language: I saved one script and one notecard into an attached object; when the viewer is crashed I still wore the attachment (I was testing it) so the contents into it weren't updated in my inventory (not the attachment's inventory) as I realized when I logged in SL back. It's clear for me now.

Edited by Gianni Lupindo
Inventories

Gianna, you are right

when the viewer crashes any changes to an attachment, since the last save, are lost. Detach/reattach regularly is the safest way. I work this way all the time with my huds. And like mentioned I will make a Inventory version named copy before reattaching 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mollymews said:

Gianna, you are right

when the viewer crashes any changes to an attachment, since the last save, are lost. Detach/reattach regularly is the safest way. I work this way all the time with my huds. And like mentioned I will make a Inventory version named copy before reattaching 

It's indeed 🙂 When you detach an object or simply logout every attachment is synchronized with the user's inventory on Linden servers. That clearly couldn't happen if you suddenly crash.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

Gianna, you are right

I'm a male, so my italian name is Gianni 🙂 Gianna is an italian female name.

15 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

And like mentioned I will make a Inventory version named copy before reattaching 

You don't need to make a copy because your attachment was synchronized since you detached it into your inventory.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1554 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.