Bits of my hair disappear when in 3rd person view.

VonWulfen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1517 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This sounds like an issue of the hair's draw distance, try with another hair. You could 'fix' it by increasing your LOD, but this will decrease your general performance. 

2 minutes ago, Orwar said:

This sounds like an issue of the hair's draw distance, try with another hair. You could 'fix' it by increasing your LOD, but this will decrease your general performance. 

Many thanks. How to increase lod? I have a decent pc.

Anything that disappears when you zoom out is usually indicative of it having very low Level of Detail settings at distance. Some creators will tell you to use the Debug menu of your viewer in order to increase your own LOD, but the LL viewer only goes up to 2 by default and that should be plenty enough to render an avatar in its entirety unless you're zooming way out.

However, if it's vanishing when your camera view is relatively close to your avatar then you may need to adjust your graphics settings. Find your viewer's preferences menu, go into the Graphics tab, click the Advanced button, and if the quality slider is below Mid/High then move it towards the Ultra end of things. You won't actually need to go as far as Ultra, especially if your computer isn't capable of complex rendering but anywhere around the High setting should eliminate a lot of issues.

If you're getting close-proximity derendering when your graphics are set to high then it may be time to look for a new hair designer...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Anything that disappears when you zoom out is usually indicative of it having very low Level of Detail settings at distance. Some creators will tell you to use the Debug menu of your viewer in order to increase your own LOD, but the LL viewer only goes up to 2 by default and that should be plenty enough to render an avatar in its entirety unless you're zooming way out.

However, if it's vanishing when your camera view is relatively close to your avatar then you may need to adjust your graphics settings. Find your viewer's preferences menu, go into the Graphics tab, click the Advanced button, and if the quality slider is below Mid/High then move it towards the Ultra end of things. You won't actually need to go as far as Ultra, especially if your computer isn't capable of complex rendering but anywhere around the High setting should eliminate a lot of issues.

If you're getting close-proximity derendering when your graphics are set to high then it may be time to look for a new hair designer...

Seems I was close to ultra by default. It must be the hair :(

I met with VonWulfen inworld. It seems that the disappearing hair issue is a combination of LOD and graphics settings. This is what I see when camming back from him with Firestorm's LOD set to 4, and this is what I see when it's set to 2. He told me it looks much worse than the second video to him, which is likely his graphics settings. I gave him screenshots of my own graphics and hardware settings and he's going to try Firestorm viewer to see if that helps (for him, anyway; anyone on the LL viewer with its default LOD of 2 will still see that hair begin to degrade at distance, but we can't control how others see us in SL anyway).

I was surprised to learn that creator's hair degrades at distance, tbh. They're quite a major designer.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

I met with VonWulfen inworld. It seems that the disappearing hair issue is a combination of LOD and graphics settings. This is what I see when camming back from him with Firestorm's LOD set to 4, and this is what I see when it's set to 2. He told me it looks much worse than the second video to him, which is likely his graphics settings. I gave him screenshots of my own graphics and hardware settings and he's going to try Firestorm viewer to see if that helps (for him, anyway; anyone on the LL viewer with its default LOD of 2 will still see that hair begin to degrade at distance, but we can't control how others see us in SL anyway).

I was surprised to learn that creator's hair degrades at distance, tbh. They're quite a major designer.

Cheers again Skell. The firestorm viewer works so much better, hair problem solved : ) It also loads locations faster :)

• Like 2

Great to hear it! As mentioned in my post above, we can only control what we see in SL. Other people may use different Windlight settings, or different graphics settings, so as long as your avatar looks good to you that's the most important thing.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1517 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.