Problem with animation priorities

Margot LaSalle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone.

Recently, I created a pose in Animare and uploaded it as priority 4, 5 and 6. No matter which priority I use, my animation is overridden by my p3 walk

I contacted the creator of Animare, who has been very helpful indeed, she verified the problem by uploading my pose herself and testing it, but couldn't find a solution either.

I have poses by other creators that do stay on. Any idea what might be wrong with my pose and the system ignores its priority?

Thanks in advance

Margot LaSalle

2 hours ago, Margot LaSalle said:

Hello everyone.

Recently, I created a pose in Animare and uploaded it as priority 4, 5 and 6. No matter which priority I use, my animation is overridden by my p3 walk

I contacted the creator of Animare, who has been very helpful indeed, she verified the problem by uploading my pose herself and testing it, but couldn't find a solution either.

I have poses by other creators that do stay on. Any idea what might be wrong with my pose and the system ignores its priority?

Thanks in advance

Margot LaSalle

I'm assuming that Animare supports anim format if you were able to set the animation priorities higher than 4. So my guess is that there is a problem in the code that writes the file, as priorities are written to file directly. Its serialization wants priorities to be listed on a per joint basis as soon as a joint name is added to the animation list, so that it would be possible to set each joint at a different priority. You should check whether there is such feature overriding your global priority settings. If this feature is not available in your software, the creator of Animare should really take a second look at its serialization procedure as something is very likely to be wrong there. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OptimoMaximo said:

I'm assuming that Animare supports anim format if you were able to set the animation priorities higher than 4. So my guess is that there is a problem in the code that writes the file, as priorities are written to file directly. Its serialization wants priorities to be listed on a per joint basis as soon as a joint name is added to the animation list, so that it would be possible to set each joint at a different priority. You should check whether there is such feature overriding your global priority settings. If this feature is not available in your software, the creator of Animare should really take a second look at its serialization procedure as something is very likely to be wrong there. 

Thank you so much for your reply, Optimo. :)

In Animare I can only use an export option that offers no customization and no priority was set at that point. I set priorities in the viewer, when I uploaded the animations in .bvh format (I enabled higher priorities in debug). I know nothing of animation formats so let me see if I got that straight. You mean that the priorities for each joint should already be present in the .bvh for them to work? I edited the .bvh file and in the text I don't see anything that looks like a priority. Here is a part of how it looks:

}
                }
            }
            JOINT lCollar
            {
                OFFSET    3.422053 6.707223 -0.821293
                CHANNELS 3 Yrotation Zrotation Xrotation
                JOINT lShldr
                {
                    OFFSET    3.285171 0.000000 0.000000
                    CHANNELS 3 Zrotation Yrotation Xrotation
                    JOINT lForeArm
                    {
                        OFFSET    10.129278 0.000000 0.000000
                        JOINT lHand
                        {
                            OFFSET    8.486692 0.000000 0.000000
                            End Site
                            {
                                OFFSET 4.106464 0.000000 0.000000
                            }
                        }
                    }

If there were priorities in the file and all the priorities were, say p3, but I uploaded the pose as p6 through my viewer, would the p3 priorities have precedence over p6 and would override it?

3 hours ago, Margot LaSalle said:

Thank you so much for your reply, Optimo. :)

In Animare I can only use an export option that offers no customization and no priority was set at that point. I set priorities in the viewer, when I uploaded the animations in .bvh format (I enabled higher priorities in debug). I know nothing of animation formats so let me see if I got that straight. You mean that the priorities for each joint should already be present in the .bvh for them to work? I edited the .bvh file and in the text I don't see anything that looks like a priority. Here is a part of how it looks:

}
                }
            }
            JOINT lCollar
            {
                OFFSET    3.422053 6.707223 -0.821293
                JOINT lShldr
                {
                    OFFSET    3.285171 0.000000 0.000000
                    JOINT lForeArm
                    {
                        OFFSET    10.129278 0.000000 0.000000
                        JOINT lHand
                        {
                            OFFSET    8.486692 0.000000 0.000000
                            End Site
                            {
                                OFFSET 4.106464 0.000000 0.000000
                            }
                        }
                    }

If there were priorities in the file and all the priorities were, say p3, but I uploaded the pose as p6 through my viewer, would the p3 priorities have precedence over p6 and would override it?

oh I see what's going on then. BVH files do not support priorities, only .anim file types do, which is clear at this point that Animare doesn't export.

As far as i know, enabling higher priorities upload through the viewer debug settings doesn't always work. I would suggest to disable that and try again using the default and see if that results in a priority 4 to successfully upload. If it does, the debug settings for higher priorities is not working.

I can't see anything wrong in this file, just an odd and inconsistent rotation order difference between different joints in the same chain and different from what i'm used to see, but that shouldn't be a problem at all (i guess it needs to be written this way for Animare's internal rotation sampling to work in SL). As i said above, bvh files don't contain priority information by definition, as priorities are something internal and specific to SL that you set in the uploader for the conversion plug in to turn it into a .anim file format for storage in the servers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can view the priorities of animations playing on your avatar. In the default viewer, use ctrl-alt-q to bring up the developer menu. Then go to avatar->animation info. This should show your walk priority and your uploaded animation priority when they are being used.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

You can view the priorities of animations playing on your avatar. In the default viewer, use ctrl-alt-q to bring up the developer menu. Then go to avatar->animation info. This should show your walk priority and your uploaded animation priority when they are being used.

Yes, that is how I checked the priority of my walk. My pose does show up as the priority that I uploaded it, but it is ignored by the system. I suppose it will be solved if I make an .anim instead of a .bvh.

Thank you for replying :)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.