White Seam Around Tattoo Layer (solved)

KirinGale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm attempting to create a crotch cover layer for the maitreya mesh body, but I keep winding up with a white seam around the points where it alphas out. I have tried both aliased and non-aliased edges, and have attempted uploading in transparent PNG and Targa. I'm new to creating additional layers and would very much appreciate any help.

Thank you

Edited by KirinGale

You are dealing with a very common phenomenon.  Essentially, the pixels at the visible edge of your texture are being averaged with the transparent pixels next to them, yielding a very narrow border that is light colored. (Not quite, but that's the general idea.)  There are many ways to get rid of it. Among the easiest:

1. In Photoshop (or GIMP or whatever), duplicate your visible layer, put the duplicate layer under the original, and stretch it just a little. When your alpha mask, based on the original layer, does its job, it will no longer be cutting along a border between visible and empty pixels. The white halo will disappear.

2. Or, simply place a dark base layer under your image. Again, the alpha mask will be cutting out your image along a boundary that has visible pixels on both sides.  No halo.

3. You can find plug-in filters for Photoshop (Google "Flaming Pear", for example) that do essentially what method #1 does, but do it automatically.

• Like 1

Thank you for the responses! Oddly enough I solved the issue by taking a different route.

I use clip-studio paint, and originally was attempting a hard edge (no transparent pixels/anti aliasing) -- I am not exactly sure how alpha channels work in CSP, but I'll do some research for future projects. Regardless, duplicating a layer underneath it, creating a dark layer, and expanding the border edge did not seem to work.

The fix came about by, instead of trying to line the cutout along the UV sections, simply taking airbrush tool and erasing/softening the edges down. So instead of spilling over the gridlines, they transition softly inside of them.

image.thumb.png.1e38cc20a71b7066a57893a3826b5a7b.png

I'm not sure why this worked, but it did -- there are no trace pixels or halos when using this texture as a tattoo or underwear layer.

I'd say the issue is resolved, we can close thread :)  

Edited by KirinGale
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.