For land to pay or not?

GeneralMajor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

You pay the purchase price for the land.  That's a one-time cost.  Then, as long as you own the land you pay a monthly land fee.  Think of it as property taxes, if you like.  All landowners in SL pay monthly fees.  And if you were renting instead of being a landowner, you would be paying a rental fee to the landowner, who then has to pay his fees to Linden Lab.  Somebody always has to pay.  That's what keeps the servers going.  It's how we keep SL alive. 

Please read this land articles in the Knowledge Base very carefully, starting with this one:

I also strongly suggest taking @Lindal Kidds free class in land ownership and management, offered at Caledon Oxbridge University every Saturday noon SLT.  She will probably be along here shortly to tell you more.

9 hours ago, GeneralMajor said:

if I win the land auction, what happens next? will I have to pay every week or only buy premium to live? And if I don't pay anything what happens then ?

...waves to Rolig!

@GeneralMajor, first of all you have to be a Premium member to bid in the land auctions.

Second, you HAVE to pay the purchase price for the land if you win the auction.  It's deducted automatically from your $L balance, your $USD balance, or your registered payment method, in that order.

Congratulations, you are now the proud owner of a Mainland parcel.

If the total amount of Mainland you own is 1024 sq m. or less, then you will not be charged any recurring monthly land tier fee.  (Note, a Linden Home or tier donated to a group counts as "Mainland you own".  In the simplest example, let's say you don't own any other Mainland, other than the auction parcel you won.  If it's 1024 or less, that's it.  You don't pay anything else.

If the land is, say, 2048 sq. m., then you pay a monthly tier fee on the amount that is more than your "free" 1024.  In this case, that is also 1024 sq. m., and you'd pay a fee of $7.00 USD per month.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.