Tried to add payment method and buy L$

VanessiasBohoResident

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I tried to buy L$ and for that i did > Buy L$ > Add L$ amount > Then click buy > I was asked to add through three payment methods and i chose paypal > Then it said that payment method was successfully added and now i need to click buy now to add the L$. When i clicked buy now it showed me an error and i was not able to add L$. What should i do next to be able to buy L$?

7 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, VanessiasBohoResident said:

When i clicked buy now it showed me an error and i was not able to add L$. What should i do next to be able to buy L$?

That's hard to say.  What kind of an error?  Were you buying directly through the LindeX from your dashboard at secondlife.com, or were you trying to buy through your viewer or (heaven forbid!) the Marketplace?

OK, then I suspect tthat the card you tried to register was not a real credit card.  It was either a debit card or a prepaid credit card of some kind.  Those sorts of cards are almost always guaranteed to fail in the LindeX.  The system may appear to accept them initially but when it does a verification check to be sure that they are capable of handling transactions (1) instantly and (2) reversibly, the system rejects them.  If you do not have a regular credit card, your best option is probably to open a PayPal account, verify it (through PayPal) with your bank account, and then feed it a cash balance either from your bank account or from your current debit/prepaid card.  PayPal can handle those cards.

I didn't use a credit card and rather used paypal. It said my payment method was added successfully but in the next step when i had to upload L$ then it showed me this message. Do you think i need to keep balance in paypal for SL to work? Although in Paypal i have connected it with my bank account so it happens directly from the bank whenever i do transactions.

6 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

OK, then I suspect tthat the card you tried to register was not a real credit card.  It was either a debit card or a prepaid credit card of some kind.  Those sorts of cards are almost always guaranteed to fail in the LindeX.  The system may appear to accept them initially but when it does a verification check to be sure that they are capable of handling transactions (1) instantly and (2) reversibly, the system rejects them.  If you do not have a regular credit card, your best option is probably to open a PayPal account, verify it (through PayPal) with your bank account, and then feed it a cash balance either from your bank account or from your current debit/prepaid card.  PayPal can handle those cards.

I didn't use a credit card and rather used paypal. It said my payment method was added successfully but in the next step when i had to upload L$ then it showed me this message. Do you think i need to keep balance in paypal for SL to work? Although in Paypal i have connected it with my bank account so it happens directly from the bank whenever i do transactions.

Unless you also have a credit card connected with your PayPal, you probably also need to have a balance in your PayPal - just enough of a balance to cover what you want to use in SL (because transfers from bank accounts are not usually instantaneous and LL needs to receive the payment immediately in order for the transaction to go through).

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, VanessiasBohoResident said:

Do you think i need to keep balance in paypal for SL to work? Although in Paypal i have connected it with my bank account so it happens directly from the bank whenever i do transactions.

Yes, I do.  Banks typically do not transfer money as fast as internet businesses expect when they say that they want "instant" transfers.  When you buy L$, Linden Lab will send a payment request to PayPal.  If PayPal can't say that is has your money NOW, Linden Lab will withdraw the request.  Major credit cards either transfer money very quickly or, I suspect, have worked out agreements that assure PayPal that they will get their money even if the Internet is having a slow day.  With some likely exceptions, individual banks can't give PayPal that sort of guarantee.  The bottom line is that if your PayPal account is backed up by a bank account, it's wise to keep a cash balance in PayPal so that Linden Lab doesn't have to wait even a few extra seconds to get paid.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.