Clothing glow and environment settings

Jaenie Crystal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1761 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello Everyone,

I have one dress which has a HUD for setting glow. I have another dress which is modifiable for which I can edit the item and set the glow manually.  Both exhibit a glow "blowout" in brighter environments, when I would expect brighter environments to washout the glow.  For example, if I have a flashlight at night, it really contrasts with the dark around it. But, the same flashlight on a sunny day would  seem dim because of its relative brightness to the sun.    So, here are two images of me dancing in the dress that I edited to have a glow of 0.1, at the same place, but with the on on the left at midnight and the one on the right at midday.   Is there a way to get around this, other than making multiple copies of the dress/using a HUD to have the right glow for the right environment?  I wouldn't mind if it behaved like RL (as if dresses glowed in RL 😁) and glow was all but undetectable in bright light and then as the sun set, I started glowing 👻

8fa7f2fc4b14b22956a2467e5ed6d711.pngdfd144346a1844c5e1d97849af1fe409.png

Thank you ^^

Jaen

9 minutes ago, Jaenie Crystal said:

Hello Everyone,

I have one dress which has a HUD for setting glow. I have another dress which is modifiable for which I can edit the item and set the glow manually.  Both exhibit a glow "blowout" in brighter environments, when I would expect brighter environments to washout the glow.  For example, if I have a flashlight at night, it really contrasts with the dark around it. But, the same flashlight on a sunny day would  seem dim because of its relative brightness to the sun.    So, here are two images of me dancing in the dress that I edited to have a glow of 0.1, at the same place, but with the on on the left at midnight and the one on the right at midday.   Is there a way to get around this, other than making multiple copies of the dress/using a HUD to have the right glow for the right environment?  I wouldn't mind if it behaved like RL (as if dresses glowed in RL 😁) and glow was all but undetectable in bright light and then as the sun set, I started glowing 👻

8fa7f2fc4b14b22956a2467e5ed6d711.pngdfd144346a1844c5e1d97849af1fe409.png

Thank you ^^

Jaen

Unless you are ONLY setting the glow for yourself to be used in a photo, glow is typically not used on clothing (and honestly used very little these last years). Everyone sees the world differently depending on their Windlight(R) settings, so you have no way of knowing what others will see and often it is very VERY VERY ugly.

1 minute ago, Chic Aeon said:

Unless you are ONLY setting the glow for yourself to be used in a photo, glow is typically not used on clothing (and honestly used very little these last years). Everyone sees the world differently depending on their Windlight(R) settings, so you have no way of knowing what others will see and often it is very VERY VERY ugly.

Now I feel like a loser who still uses <blink> tags  😫😫😫

J/K ^^ . Thanks for the advice 🥰

Jaen

• Haha 1

FWIW, for posterity, I was playing around with the object edit and tried Full Bright (on a white piece of clothing)  with 0.03 glow and it was reasonable at midnight, noon and inbetween.  Instead of looking like it was glowing it had the effect of being a lighted object, like luminescent film which looks lighted without emitting glow.  It does make the texture look a bit like old school SL, but over all I rather like the effect.   Anyhow... YMMV

image.png.70200ab149cffe70c3698354a5b49d2b.pngimage.thumb.png.58cf798197a8789f3ba36658bce2dafc.png

5 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

But, but, but ... Blingy prim jewelry!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1761 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.