Disconnect after ~5 mins

Nazarinn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1798 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi all, 

Having a problem; SL keeps kicking me off after about 5 minutes of being logged in. I've tried re-installing SL, using a different account, changing region, re-setting my internet router, and have searched every forum out there but I can't seem to find the answer. This problem has been ongoing since I first installed the game 3 days ago.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

EDIT: I have also tried using a different viewer to no avail.

Edited by Nazarinn
Additional info.

8 answers to this question

Try copying the specs for your computer and adding them to your post so we can see what sort of system you are working with.  You don't need to log in.  Just look in the upper left corner of your login screen on your SL viewer and click Help >>> About Second Life.  Then click the button to copy the contents to your clipboard.  Return here and paste them into an edit of your question.

49f32bf5f2c67194e011839e1876c4c6.png

While you're doing that, check one thing that might rule out a very scary possibility.  SL puts a rather heavy load on your graphics card, and that generates a lot of heat.  Your computer ought to be able to get rid of excess heat if its fans are spinning properly and the ventilation ports are free of dust and cat hair.  If it's been a while since you opened the machine up and used canned air to get rid of dust, this would be a good time to do it.  If you are using a laptop and have not been using a support under it (preferably one with its own fan) to keep it cool, now would be a great time to invest $30 or so in one.  Heat can destroy delicate, expensive components.  Your computer is smart enough to shut down programs that are overstressing it after a few minutes, but don't count on that always working. 

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos, of course
  • Like 2

Rolig is right. Temperature can be a problem. You can get the free HWMonitor and check temperature without opening the case. You can run HWMonitor and the viewer. Flip between the two (Alt-Tab on Windows) to check the load and temperature.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses guys :)

Okay, so I've run the game for as long as it'll allow me. I've kept my eye on the temp. and it's not even pushing past 55 Celsius on the graphics card

I bought the computer brand new barely a week ago as well, so I'd be surprised (and annoyed) if it was an issue with the hardware :o 

I have to say though, SL is literally the only game I've encountered any issued with thus far.

Please see below my specs as requested, and again I really appreciate the support guys!

---

Second Life Release 6.2.0.526190 (64bit)
Release Notes

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics     (3599.99 MHz)
Memory: 16333 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 17763)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: Radeon RX 580 Series

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 25.20.15027.5007
OpenGL Version: 4.2.13547 Compatibility Profile Context 25.20.15027.5007

Window size: 1920x1017
Font Size Adjustment: 96pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 128m
Bandwidth: 3000kbit/s
LOD factor: 1.125
Render quality: 5
Advanced Lighting Model: Enabled
Texture memory: 512MB
VFS (cache) creation time: May 23 2019 13:09:07

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.4
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.64
Dullahan: 1.1.1320 / CEF: 3.3626.1895.g7001d56 / Chromium: 72.0.3626.121
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
May 23 2019 13:09:49

Thanks.  I agree that you're not likely to have an overheating problem on a brand new machine unless you are actually pushing it beyond its comfort zone.  It's possible, though, that you are not using the graphics that you think you are.  Your system may be defaulting to the graphics chip on your motherboard rather than using the Radeon RX 580 card.  I don't know how ATI handles it, but my NVidia card comes with software that lets me designate when the computer should use the card and when it should use the on-board Intel graphics .  I suspect that you have something similar.

95d648ac4ea225e3d46d6f75aa7522e5.png

When you open the viewer click HELP->ABOUT... The video card listed there is the card the viewer is using. If the video card is not the 580, look in the Windows settings to force a shift from Power Saving to Performance.

ATI has a section where you can set the settings for various programs, just as NVIDIA does. I use NVIDIA so I can't help. But, between the viewer's HELP and Windows Display settings you should be able to figure it out.

You can get the free program GPU-Z to watch the video card and see that it is in fact carrying the graphics load.

So... you can check those things to make sure you are basically good.

From there it gets techy. The place to look for the cause of the crash is in the SL Viewer logs. Read through them starting at the end and search backward for ERROR and WARNING messages. Details follow...

Thank you again for the suggestions, really appreciate the help! :)

Okay, so I'm personally gonna rule out the graphics card as an issue. I've used GPU-Z, and it's definitely using the RX 580 as it should. 

Have also tried shifting to performance settings - no joy.

And to cap it all off, the log files don't seem to exist anywhere on my PC. I have scoured the SL files but I can't find them anywhere.

I suspect either gremlins or witchcraft is at play here. 

7 hours ago, Nazarinn said:

And to cap it all off, the log files don't seem to exist anywhere on my PC. I have scoured the SL files but I can't find them anywhere.

I suspect either gremlins or witchcraft is at play here. 

The log files exist. You will have to have Windows set to show hidden files. You can change the settings in Windows Explorer. Google for detailed how-to...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1798 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.