reopening a closed club under the same name

Question

Posted (edited)

i would like to reopen a club called-- i love the 80s 

that closed a copple years a go is it possable to use that name a gen

Edited by Asennery
miss spelling

6 answers to this question

I suppose the one to ask is the previous owner who used that name.  That would be the polite thing to do.

• Like 3

Maybe.

Rolig has a good point, and for more than just politeness.  The previous owner probably created a club group.  If the group has not been disbanded, she could transfer ownership of it to you.  You can't ever re-use a group name, so if you could arrange this, it would be good.

i have contacted the previous owner a wateing a reply but dont think shes on any more

but have grate respect for the previous owner i worked for her as a dj for years

she is still on my friends list and i still retain my tag for the groop

but was wandering if there are any legal issue or restrictions with second life on me using the club name

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Not with a club name, but if you use intellectual property that she owns, you could have problems.  Make your best effort to contact her and then go ahead and use the name, but make the club yours. You won't be able to take control of the group unless she made you a co-owner, although you may still be able to use your role in the group for deeding objects, sending group messages, etc.  You won;t be able to remove her as the owner even if you are a co-owner.

Edited by Rolig Loon

ty i may change the name to something close to the old one and make a new groop 

thanks for you help

Since you're still a member of the old group, be sure to tell the members about the "resurrected" club and invite them to the new group.

• Like 1